• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amp relicing... really?

Kyle B

Silver Supporting Member
Good point. Next step of relicing amps: Scratchy and intermittent pots, jacks and switches. "Broken in" speakers with deformed voice coils and fragile glue in cone.
And .... The removal of 3rd wire ground/addition of a death cap.... because it ain't "genuine" without those things!

Juanito Dedos

Cigarette burns on the top tolex. And I’ll kick a hole though the grill cloth and spill beer on the speaker cone for ya!
:beer

BeeBaa

Leave your new amp in a kindergarten classroom and it’ll have more rips, puke and beer stains on it than any hard-gigged pub amp in no time.

matt1969

now a marshall head with a 3” diameter hole once drilled for a fan will cost even more because it is a relic.

Ampegged

Silver Supporting Member
All the dryer lint & other is laughable.

In the tweed game, I do much prefer a tinted lacquered cab vs. a shiny new piss yellow cab. ‍Sue me

BlueRiff

Hi - I’m the marketing guy who created this. Y’all just jealous that you can’t come up with the idea while I sit back and capitalize on the coming, once-in-a-generation buying frenzy of relic’d amps!! Try not to be envious of my mammoth success!! :p:p:p

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I’m waiting for relic’d restaurant meals.

A burger with a bite out of it with a couple of flies surfing it.

A plate with dirty cutlery askew, half of the food eaten and a cigarette butt crushed down in the middle.

Etc.

-bEn r.

Yoda

A relic’d guitar is one thing. Something you hold in your hands and beat on passionately while you sweat on it and wear the frets down and you belt buckle scratches up the back and your arm rests on the body and wears off the paint, night after night gig after gig. It kinda makes sense and give that impression to anyone that sees it.

But a relic’d amp? That just tells the world you don’t take care of your things at all.

The most honest wear to me is a well-broken-in speaker, some heat-induced discoloration of the chassis around the power tubes on a tubes-down amp, and some transformer potting that has dripped out and rehardened. THAT is an amplifier that has really been used.

Flatfish.

i remember you couldn't buy an amp that wasn't beat to hell, people used to use them, throw them in pickup trucks, vans etc. By the time they were for sale, the vinyll would be half peeled off the things.
The best feature of a beat up/ old amp has to be the cigarette hue of brown, and the smell of the clubs.
I've got an old od-1 pedal made in 1977. It was used in several bands that just threw gear around. hardly any paint left on it.
Relicing things is a sign of the times, and it aint a good sign IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom