• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amp Repair in Miami

Anthony M

HI all

Miami may have plenty palm trees and beaches, but only one guitar/amp store. That's it.

My question is, I have a Blues Junior that I would like to resurrect. Does anyone here know of a place where I can take this thing to be looked at?

By the way, both Music Tech and Mitch are no longer around.

Thank you! :dude

Last edited:

NyteOwl

Gold Supporting Member
If you don't want to drive to West Palm you could try Victor at MAE Music or Gary at Alpha Kinetics (954-565-2216). Both are in Fort Lauderdale, but I think that Alpha Kinetics map might be out-dated. Last I knew they were on Dixie Highway, a few blocks north of Cypress Creek Road.

Anthony M

Thanks Guy! It's just sad that in a city as populated as Miami, you have to drive an hour north for a decent guitar store. Which answer's why Miami's only musical claim to fame is Gloria and KC. Don't get me wrong, many talented people have come from here through the years, it's just that no one ever has ever noticed.

Thanks again!

GeLoFi

Silver Supporting Member
MAE is great, its the only place I buy gear. Guitar Center is just for messing around with dinged up "new" guitars.

FloridaSam

Thanks Guy! It's just sad that in a city as populated as Miami, you have to drive an hour north for a decent guitar store. Which answer's why Miami's only musical claim to fame is Gloria and KC. Don't get me wrong, many talented people have come from here through the years, it's just that no one ever has ever noticed.

Thanks again!
Uhh some guy named Jaco lived down here too.

Emplexador

South Florida has never been easy. The old timers that did my Marshalls have passed. Have dealt with many who do vintage amps and have lost contact with all except George Scholz in Hollywood. Others I have heard of but cannot vouch: Mike Marsh in Weston, Andy Green in Hollywood, Rick Rothman in Miami, Richard@305-975-2282. There's more out there

Miami has more than Gloria and KC to thank. Tommy Dowd made Miami his home and recorded some of the most legendary tones ever. The Eagles laid down some choice tracks in Miami. Black Sabbath's Heaven & Hell was recorded in Miami. The stock Marshall Super Lead on that album was modified to master volume in Miami. Judas Priest's Screaming For Vengeance was also recorded in Miami in a short-lived state-of-the-art studio. Cuban coffee and Cuban steak sandwiches fueled those sessions.

We also have the Gibbs brothers, Yngwie Malmsteen, Julio and Enrique Iglesias, Ricky Martin, we had Vanilla Ice, Luther Campbell, Expose, Jimmy Page at one time lived here, Iron Maiden lives in Broward, and much more.

The new recording studios that went up on the beach (there's one for sale right now) brought in tons of new artists... everyone has recorded in Miami.

Regarding Mitch, he is the worst... ruined one of my prized vintage Fernandez strats... that was a long time ago when I was foolish to trust him.

Last edited:

Gilby82

Hello,
My name is Gilbert and new to the forum, nice to meet you guys. Hope to learn a lot. Sorry to ressurect this thread, I know of two very good techs in Miami. One works at the Sam Ash in NW 57 ave. His name is Wycleff and he's been the one working on my amps since 2000. He is really nice and knowledgable (stated quoting circuit details from memory for a Hiwatt Custom 100) and goes out of his way to help you. walked in one day to find Malmsteen picking up his Twin Reverb (yes he uses a Twin, I swear! ) from Wycleff. The other tech's name is Hayden. He happens to be Wycleff's friend from back in Jamaica (supposedly they went to engineering school together over there) and he worked on a Bugera Plexi clone I had under warranty. THis guy will also go out of his way to help you.Hayden owns Florida Electronic Service, also in Miami Lakes.

bchamorro

Hey, guys I just moved to Miami and I need a place to rent for band rehearsals, something like a storage space or rehearsal room where I can leave the instruments over night(drumkit).

do you know of any?

Gilby82

Hi,
I will talk to my guitar tech, nows everything about that. Will have a response tomorrow as it's a little late to call him.

Gilbert

Gilby82

Hey man what's up.....I talked to my guitr tech. He said:

South Florida Rehearsal Studios
305 949-5303

and...

Crescent Moon Studios.

Drew47

South florida update (sorry to resurrect a thread, but SoFlo guitarists should stick together!)
Mitch from Music Tech now works at MAE in Fort Lauderdale. Amp Repair-we've always had great experience with Steve who repairs at Sam Ash in Margate.
For band rehearsals, there's an SIR in Miami. I've rehearsed at the one in Nashville-they had practice space to rent. There's a chance the one in Miami does too, FWIW.

Anthony M

Cool Drew. Thanks for the update. Nice to know Mitch is still working in the area.

As for Miami talent: don't get me wrong, there is plenty of talent that came here to record. Absolutely! Back in the 90's, I had the privilege of recording at Criteria Studios, now called The Hit Factory in North Miami. So many Gold, Platinum and albums it made my head spin. I had the absolute honor of recording in Studio A, where the likes of Eric Clapton(Derek & the D's), Bob Marley, The Allman Bro's, Eagles, Skynard, AWB, Aerosmith, on and on...... recorded. The place just had so much mojo and vibe is was unreal. I'm not sure what it's like now since the Hit Factory took over 10 years ago I"m guessing. Then you have Middle Ear on South Beach, Bee Gee's home base. Not Criteria as far as size and vibe but an absolute beauty. I also had the privilege of recording here too and the absolute privilege seeing with my own eyes original Beatles gear. The original Vox AC100 Stacks where here. Awesome! And of coarse you have Island Studios on South Beach as well as Crescent Moon, home of the Estefan's. I've been out of the game for a while, so I'm not sure what else is out there.

What I'm really referring to is homegrown talent from Miami. Not offspring or people who have relocated here. I'm talking about artist from here or grown-up in the area who have succeeded. Pitbull for example, although not quite in the same league as those mentioned above, would be one example. BTW, I've met the guy and had a privilege of hangin with him and he is extremely grateful, humbled by his success, very funny, charismatic as hell and a very smart guy. I've witnessed many extremely talented rock artist from here particularly from the 80's and 90's and none had any commercial success. May by Miami is just known for it's dance and not rock. I believe Miami has some sort of curse as far as rock and roll musical talent goes that was never discovered. Just my .02.

Last edited:

Trending Topics