Amp repair/tech in Philly??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mlynn02, Sep 2, 2003.

1. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

Does anyone know of a good amp guy in Philly? I need some help fixing and tweaking a '67 twin reverb and I'm new to the area. It doesn't have to be right inside the city, I would drive somewhere if you have a strong recommendation. Thanks!

2. scottl

scottl Member

I have had Rick Emery at the Music Place in Berlin, NJ do some tech work for me. He is a nice guy and seems competant. Tell him how you found about him if you call! Berlin is next to Cherry Hill, btw. Where you at??

Here is the number for the Music Place 856-768-2226

3. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

There is a very good friend of mine who is an awsome tech in SeaGirt NJ, I used to share the same building reconing speakers before I moved to Florida. He also playes guitar so he understands what people want when repairing/ modifing an amp. he also has he own line of pro studio peamps, limiters, etc. His name is Nejat and is at Audio Technologies 732 223-0274.www.audiotechnologies.com/ - 9k
    Tell him Dominick sent you.

4. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

I think I'm gonna take a trip out to see george alessandro and see what ideas he has for fixing/modding the twin reverb. Does anyone have experience with him when it comes to fixing up and improving a vintage amp? I know his own line of amps are highly regarded. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes.

5. scottl

scottl Member

If you are not concerned about the vintage, unmodded value of your 67 twin, it would be foolish to not see Andy Fuchs in North Jersey. He is the amp mod god! Only if you like creamy silky smooth *umblish tones!!!!

I have a mod. You can come over and try mine.

Scott

6. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

what exactly does he (andy) do in terms of modding? If possible, I'd like to keep the basic character of the twin, I love the warm clean punch and solid foundation it gives me. But it's SO loud. If there were a way to coax some natural grind out of it without having to go deaf and risk a siesmic shift in the bedrock of metro philly, that'd be ideal. Have you had him mod your amps? Fenders? I'd love to check 'em out.

7. scottl

scottl Member

The amp is totally gutted except for the transformers :) He also installs a tube buffered effect loop. The mods are killers for sure! Fender character and an incredible master volume. No need for deafness!

I shot you an email, btw.

8. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

scott, thanks for the info, I'd love to check out those amps sometime!

I've gotten some other interesting advice on this froma guy called lord valve. Has anyone heard of this guy ? He's a NOS tube/amp guru out of colorado. Aparently works on Derek Trucks' amps. Anyway he had some advice for me on tubes and setup for this SF twin reverb:

The chinese "silver special" STR 7025 for the V2 stage in particular he said was the secret to Derek's sound.

NOS Philips 12AT7WC/6201 (reverb driver).

Either another Silver Special, or a Chinese 12AX7
    grey-plate. (Reverb recovery/mixing tube.)

NOS Philips 12AT7WC/6201 (Phase inverter.)

NOS Philips JAN 7581A (power)

Also he said I could "blackface" the PI stage of my amp. what does that mean?

And he recommends pulling the inner two power tubes to cut back the total output of the amp and disconnecting one of the speakers to balance the impedance. Thus leaving me with a 60 watt amp running one 12".

What do you all think of this? Is it sound advice (slight pun intended)?

any thoughts?

9. ginelleamps

ginelleamps Member

Thanks ScottL for the post. Rick Emery can be reached at: ---Rick Emery's Mainline Music---18 Ardmore Ave. Ardmore, Pa 19003 610-592-8099 or 856-625-3493 Rick Emery is no longer at, or affiliated with the music place in any way.

10. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

Jon Mernyk- Mill Creek Audio in Abington.

11. jay42

jay42 Member

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

[​IMG]

Formerly a twin reverb, now a separate head and cabinet, diamonds by other. ODS mods run $ 999.00 plus options btw.