Amp road cases - Vox AC30 - experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JacieFB, Jan 31, 2012.

1. JacieFB

JacieFB Member

I'm in need of a case for my AC30. I've been so ghetto that I've been taping a garbage bag over the amp to keep water out during transport. I need something better. I ordered an SKB Amp Utility Vehicle, but upon getting it I realized what a terrible idea it was. That thing is more than 2 times bigger than it needs to be. I can't store it let alone get it around.

So my question to you guys, any road case recommendations? I'd like it to be as light yet sturdy as possible. Anvil style is probably okay. So many options on ebay, where do I go?

Thanks!

2. thealmightycapo

thealmightycapo Member

XCase on eBay. Very high quality case, free casters (two of which lock, very nice for keeping it still onstage) and the prices are very good considering the quality, which is on par with guys like Bradycases which charge twice as much.

3. James

James Member

Sometimes you can luck out finding used road cases at decent prices via craigslist or (in the old days) music stores. I once bought a great AC30 road case for $172 at a (now-defunct) music store in Boston (E.U. Wurlitzer).

For something that won't add to the already-significant weight of the AC30, I'd suggest checking out a padded cover from Tuki Covers.

http://tukicovers.com/index.html

Good luck! (and be careful lifting!)

4. JacieFB

JacieFB Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Tuki cover is a great idea, but I'm looking to have it serve as an amp stand while on stage. I will check out xcase. A seller called Safecases has one for $275. I should throw up a craigslist ad before I buy. I have a few weeks before my next show.

5. nnick

nnick Member

I had an XCase for my AC30. Good case. It had the larger of the optional casters on it which made it easy to push but also made the case want to tip over if you rotated the case grabbing a single handle.

6. neutronrobot

neutronrobot Member

I've been debating about getting a road case for my AC30CC2X and was wondering: can one person lift the road cased AC30 into a vehicle?

I have a Honda Element so there's some cargo space, but I want to make sure the road case will fit and I could get it into the vehicle by myself.

7. alamere

alamere Member

I've got a bunch of cases from Adam: http://www.williscases.com/

Including my AC30 case, which I use for exactly what your describing...
    to protect my amp when traveling and on stage.. as a stand.

8. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Well, I've got a flight case for mine and I can lift it into the car, but I don't really enjoy it. If I had to get it up a flight of stairs, for example, i'd take it out the case.

9. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

There's a market for in the middle cases. I play 3+ gigs a week, therefore I need a case to keep my amp from getting trashed. But, I've never taken my amp on a plane or cargo truck, so I don't need a flight case. There seems to be nothing in between.

10. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

Most of these (decent) cases are around $300, but if you consider the shipping price on top of the case it can really pay to shop local. Lots of case makers out there. And as said before, the AC-30 is a popular amp, you might find one used.

The good thing about the Element is the cargo bay is low, so you shouldn't have to lift very high. I have a Pro Reverb with a case and while I technically can get it in my car it's a PITA.

Most of these cases aren't flight cases, just road cases. If I wasn't putting my amp in the back of a trailer no way I'd use a roadcase, just a padded cover is fine. I have a Tuki which is great, but Studio Slips has some really nice models that cover the whole amp.

11. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

If your AC30 is near the size of a matchless independence I will ship my road case to you.
    Maybe $185 pp to your door? As long as shipping doesn't kill me....
    [​IMG]

12. ClickTrack

ClickTrack Supporting Member

Go with Safecase. I just got a case from them for my MAZ 38. Super great value. They were a pleasure to deal with, and the case is better quality than any of the cases I've seen used. A buddy has a Brady case that he paid more than me for, and he compliments my case all the time

13. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

Why dont you go with one of the vox ones from north coast good price and looks to be built well