amp rotation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soldano16, Apr 12, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I guess it's the price one pays for owning more than one great amp. It's a relatively new situation for me. I've had that "problem" with guitars as I have two great LP's. But with the recent addition of my Germino Classic 45, I now have the same "problem" with amps. Both my 68 plexi and the Germino sound fantastic. They both give me pure Marshall tones but they are really very different in a lot of ways. Tube rectified KT66's vs SS rectified EL34's for starters.

Decisions, decisions.........:argue

And that's without considering pulling out the 63 JMI AC30. :crazy

2. DavidH

DavidH Member

I have this same 'problem',i only own three guitars and three amps,and it often makes me want to pare it down to two of each.I tend to play a particular guitar/amp combo until i get a bit tired of it and go looking for different sounds,typically a week or two at a time,and come back to it later.same goes with pedals.Any guitar/amp combo in the world has particular sounds/artifacts that gets on my nerves after a while,no matter how good,i need a change.Then it's time to mix it up for me.i need multiple guitars and amps to keep me inspired.

i could never be one of those players that uses the same basic setup for years,or a chaser of one ideal tone because it doesn't exist for me,i never did get the 'finally found my ideal tone' concept.

3. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

It'll get a lot easier. Play the new amp for now, cause its new. In 6 months when the novelty of new wears off- you will KNOW when and why to use each one. It just happens that way.

Congrats!

4. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have 21 guitars including 3 acoustics & 2 basses & 2 bass amps and 10 guitar amps I rotate guitars and have choices of amps and wattage according to the venue.

1973 Fender Stratocaster, 1990 Gibson ES335, PRS CE24 20th Anniversary, Fender Nashville Telecaster, Fender Roland Ready Strat, Fender 48th St. Strat, Warmouth Strat, Squire Mini Strat,
    Danelectro DC59 12string, Line 6 Variax, 1991Gibson Les Paul Special, 2001Gibson Firebird V,
    1969 Kapa 500, Taylor 814CE, Alvarez Yairi DY62, Takamine 12 string, P-bass, Cort Curbow Bass, Squire Strat, Washburn KC-40V, Silvertone acoustic
    Mesa Boogie Mk III, Marshall Artist 4203, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Blues Jr., Fender Princeton II, Mesa Boogie Studio .22, Vox Pathfinder, Roland KC350, Roland Micro Cube, Crate Power Block & Celestion Cab, Mesa Boogie 1-12 Cabinet, Mesa Boogie V-Twin, POD2.0, Aria Jr. Practice Amp, Hartke Kickback 15, GK200MB- Studio-Korg D1600, Tascam DP01FX, Mackie, Tascam & Alessis, Ross Boards, Fostex A8 reel to reel 8 track, Marantz Mastering CD Deck, Fostex MR8, Tascam 4 track cassette, Outboard Gear, 2 PA Systems –QSC, Furman, DOD, Yamaha, Peavey Monitors, PV600 Head

www.myspace.com/franksguitar1952

5. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Two guitars and two amps makes choosing easier.
    If there are stairs at the gig/rehearsal, I take the Carr(40lbs)
    No stairs and it's an easy load in/out, I take the Mesa (65lbs)
    Most times I take both guitars. Nobody gets jealous of the others