Amp selection time.. VT30 or Super Champ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by xzzy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. xzzy

xzzy Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I'd like to get a decent amp that I can use in the apartment.

The target budget is $200-$300, and if possible, I'd like to get an amp with enough headroom that it's not only useful in the bedroom.. something easy to haul to jam sessions and won't get drowned out.

Spent the past two days hunting around, and so far, my two favorites are:

Vox Valvetronix VT30
    Fender Super Champ XD

Hunting around on the forums, I see a 'lovefest' thread for the Super Champ, and not one for the VT30. So maybe that's information enough to tell me the SC is 'better'. And I intend to sit down at the store with each amp and hear them for myself. But I was thinking that getting some feedback from people that own one or both would arm me better for making a decision. Does either amp have some major plusses or minuses that I should take into account?

Do they have good tone when turned down low? How about when cranked?
  2. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

Mar 3, 2009
    South Florida
    I can speak to the Super Champ's low volume tone. Very nice. It's very easy to get good tone out of the SCXD, however, it's not easy to go from one good tone to another like you can with a tube amp.

What I mean is, there's a model that does a good Tweed cranked tone, but it sounds like the same amount of gain at different volumes. There's another great Blackface model for cleans, but there's no way to back off your volume and clean up the Tweed model. While the models are pretty spot on, they're not versatile like the real thing.

I messed with the Vox a couple times, and could never intuitively dial in a great tone like I could on the SCXD. That said, I had a Tonelab briefly, and its versatility blew me away. It's strength was everything the SCXD was weak at. But again, it was complicated.
  3. jzero

jzero Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I have a SCXD and a Vox ad15vt. The short review is this:
    Vox looks better
    Champ sounds better for clean to classic rock settings
    Vox sounds better for higher gain models
    Vox has more FX control
    Champ has limited control, but a better sounding reverb.
    Champ has tube power section (essential for creamy, singing tube distortion)
    Vox does not.

I'd go with a champ and later recab it with a 12" speaker. Unlike the previous poster, with lower output pickups (cheap strat clone) I can easily get the Fender models to go from clean to gutsy dirt. With my Humbucker guitars, that is less possible.