Amp settings for P-90s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ReginaldBisquet, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Hi everyone - I am using a P90 guitar for a heavy doom & blues band and having a tough time getting my rig to deliver a deep heavy tone.

I'm using a Crate Power Block for rehearsals and have a wide range of overdrive / distortion pedals to help shape my sound. My cabinet is a 4x12 converted Ampeg combo (head removed a long time ago) from 1974. The speakers are CTS.

Any suggested settings or tips/tricks on how to get a deep, rich sound of the p90s with my current rig? I suspect it's a matter of sitting down and messing with the dials for an hour or so... but I'd like some insight from others. :)

2. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Turn up the bass....Turn up the treble......So.Ill Rockin'Roll Rebel.

[​IMG]

I like a little brighter setting....Seems that "tone" knobby really shines @ with this type of settup........I think your talkin' OD settings.

Soundclip : http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7525061

Of course......That half-bridge setup and the pine "Plankage" with the Leo' longer scale length makes for some unique "tones" .......No rules.....Have fun.

3. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

The neck pup is the rich one, right? EQ on the pedalboard helps. And something in the Xotic RC vein - has a pretty good Baxandal tone stack and the gain and boost add weight to your amp input signal. Turn the amp UP to the edge of drive territory then use the amp eq to taste.

An hour should get you the basic sound. Then you will be tweaking for months!

4. chakosh

chakosh Member

Have you tried using an EHX LPB-1? It's a boost pedal that adds a bit of bass/deep response when you have it engaged. A heavy, bassy fuzz also might help out.

What's your gigging amp if the Power Block is just for rehearsals?

A myspace link would also be appreciated, as it sounds like your band is right up my alley. :)

5. WordMan

WordMan Member

You *do*, I assume, tweak the on-board controls, right? That is essential with P-90's - having both Volume and Tone on 10 is one of the least usable tones on there...from what you describe, I would roll off the Tone to about 4 - 5, tops, and roll the Volume off to about 9 so you can pump a bit more distortion through the amps without the P-90's getting too raw...

My $.02

6. panoramic

panoramic Member

I have an sg classic that i use with a blackface bandmaster, treble on 7, bass on 5

there you go.

7. shadco

shadco Member

These Settings work really well.

[​IMG]

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

An hour or so?!?! How many knobs are on that amp?!? Most of my amps have a single tone control; some with treble and bass. Takes about ten seconds most nights. Sorry to not be of more help...

9. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Many thanks for the responses!

I'm still learning the subtle nuances of the volume and tone controls of this guitar. For quiet passages, I have the volume turned down to about 5 or 6 and usually use the middle or neck position... depending on tone.

The guitar came stock with 500k alpha pots and a .022uF capacitor on the tone control.

[​IMG]

At this point, I've set up my Crate Power Block as:

Gain: 50%
    Treble: 65%
    Mid: 50%
    Low: 45%
    Volume: anywhere up to 65%

Pedals chain looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Yes, the mid boost switch is turned on with the Underdog Overdrive.

I had been struggling with how to coax a gnarly overdriven tone on all three positions of the guitar. So far, this seems to work for the stone doom stuff and general good rocking sounds. These settings do not work well for my humbucker guitars. Oy vey!

Here's what we sound like on a bad day:
    http://www.myspace.com/blackholecaravan

10. echale3

echale3 Member

Have you tried using a bass overdrive pedal? Check out the P90 doom tones from the Catalinbread SFT....