Amp Settings: Les Paul type vs Strat type

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trisonic, Nov 18, 2005.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

Someone actually asked me an interesting question today.
    How do you change the settings on your amp (or don't you) when you pick up a Strat after playing a Les Paul or vice versa (perhaps meaning do you unconsciously try and get them to sound the same or what)?

Something as basic as a NMV Marshall or as complicated as you like.

Best, Pete.

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

On my Fargen VOS, it's mostly just a matter of using the low input for higher output pu's and the high output for singles coils. The rest can be done from the tone and volume knobs on the guitar.
    A recently acquired Chapin needs a middle one. :D

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

I know exactly what you mean.

Best, Pete.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

its mostly about the bass for me. i.e. on my GDS 18 watter, i'll pull back to about 10:00 on the knob w/ my LP. w/ my strat, maybe around 3:00.

5. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I don't change my tone controls for different guitars. Just the volume. Over the years, I have learned how I like to set tone controls so that every guitar sounds great.

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, primiarly a volume issue, IMO. I typically will turn down or bakc the gain down a smidgen for an LP. More to the point...I'll turn it up a bit for a strat ;).

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

For me, it's about treble. Tele's and Strats I usually turn off the bright switch and like the rest use a little more preamp gain while reducing treble and presence.

8. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

I usually add a touch of bass for a strat or tele.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

for me, generally, when changing from a LP to a Strat, it's

treble down
    mids up
    bass up

by varying degrees, depending on the amp.

10. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'm a volume guy. The tones typically stay the same. I like to flip the bright switch to bright on my 1969 Twin with the single voils sometimes though. It sounds really good with the Suhr Classic on bright.

11. pepperco

pepperco Member

I found a nice balance with a fatter than average Telecaster
    and a Brighter than average SG. On my non master
    Marshall, generally no amp manipulation is needed when
    I switch between my 2 main stage guitars. If anything
    I tweek back the bright / tone just a hair with the Tele.
    Having a simple amp that is properly voiced from the
    start is a big help.

12. Roe

Roe Member

agree, but I'd like to add:

precence down

13. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I set my amp to sound "best" or "correct" with the HB's, then going to the single coil guitars it is just a matter of running the tone control at about 7 or 8...as someone else stated, knowing how your guitars relate to each other in gain and tone really moves this along...my Brian Moore is a H/S/H setup and I have to run the tone at about 5 when on the single coil, FWIW..........

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

On Marshall type amps typically I adjust the Normal to Bright Volumes and the Treble and Presence only, from Les Paul to Strat though I lose a little "quack".

Best, Pete.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I use single coil gtrs mostly and when I switch to HB's I use the lo gain input, boost the treble and rarely rolloff the bass. The bright switch on Fender amps is too bright for my taste even with HB's so I had it removed.

16. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Zinky Superfly. It's a tube amp with a digital memory on the front end. Basically the memory controls the settings of discrete digital knobs that adjust the settings. You can program 32 presets. It has 6 gain/tone structures so it is very flexible.

Anyway, I set up "pages" of 5 sounds each clean to dirty. Originally, I would set up different pages for different guitars, but I find I use the same page for every thing. I use a wide variety of guitars, always one strat & one LP and somtimes I'll throw in a tele or a P90 equipped SG.

I think it's more a question of finding a Strat that doesn't cut your head off (especially in the bridge position). On two of my Strats I've removed the bridge pickup and replaced with a mini humbucker. I've also got Torres Bluescaster harness in those two. That setup really gives a wide range of useful (and not obnoxious) tones. I find a nice, warm strat sounds great at LP settings.

17. alanfc

alanfc Member

STEVO and FR8Trane-

can you tell me what the audible differences are on your amps between the 2 inputs?
    I have a strat with a JB Jr. bridge, this position used 90% of the time. My Rivera has a Hi-Lo choice for input too. I always just plugged into the High input without thinking about it, but...now I'm wondering..

thanks

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

The Chapin mod (well, he told me) is the best:
    Connect Bridge to last tone control.
    No tone control on Middle at all.
    Normal tone control for Neck only.
    Even better, while you're at it insert push/pull pot on Bridge tone to bring in Neck pick up regardless of Pick up selector. Don't tell him I told you.....

Best, Pete.

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The second input on most amps simply reduces the input gain by 6db. These were specifically designed so that hotter guitars like a Les Paul wouldn't over drive the preamp creating what engineers at the time (50's/60's) considered to be unwanted distortion (silly engineers). If you want to switch from a strat to an LP while keeping the volume relatively constant, just plug into the second input.

20. flash1

flash1 Member

Each guitar I have, Chapins and Timtones, has a prettty unique character to it. A while back I did just what you posed in the original question, I unconciously tried to copy the tone of the last guitar by tweaking the amp. Over time I went through a lot of amps and in the midst of all that tweaking, realised that sometimes the unique sound of the amp in combination with the unique sound of the guitar was the bees knees. It's a blessing, I guess, that I rarely sell guitars, just amps. So I guess you could say that is my constant.

Fast forward to the present. Now that I have an intimate knowledge of most of those guitars, it's much easier to listen to an amps characteristics and have an idea of the potential mojo it would have with a certain guitar. A few exploratory tweaks and hopefully you find your setting(s) for that combo. I can't generalize those settings because the amps have different characteristics as do the guitars.