Amp Shield that Actually Works?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Michael_V, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I need to protect the front rows of the audience from my amp while still being able to hear myself. I detest IEMs so don't go there haha. The plexi-glass amp shields I've used in the past don't cut a lot of dbs. Is there anything out there that will? Doesn't have to be transparent LOL.

2. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

Use an Iso box with a mic send in to you monitor. And, why do you detest IEM's? Your gonna really put your hearing at risk if you don't manage on stage db's. Trust me, I played in bands in the 70's and 80's. Now I have hearing loss. Use the technology available so you can hear your grandkids!!

3. Michael_V

I know, I know. I have really good IEMs. I just hate the experience of playing with band but hearing a dry sterile version of everything but especially my own amp. I have tried for years but I hate it and that's that haha. Meanwhile, do any physical barriers actually noticably reduce the sound behind them?

4. rdamato

Michael: I'm gonna preach!! I have a custom set of IEM's that allow in some ambient stage sound. This makes a big difference in that I feel part of the band instead of isolated. Make an investment in a good pair and speak with the designer about your needs. It will make a difference.

What about a home made barrier with acoustic foam facing the speaker. This will absorb some of the sound. Try it with some cardboard and some cheap foam. If it seems to work, create a permanent solution.

Preaching Over!!!!

5. 335guy

335guy Member

I don't think the plexi glass amp shields reduce volume as much as they disperse it somewhat. Plexi glass is still reflective, so the sound hits it and bounces off in various other directions. Using a sound absorbing material, like what is often found in gobos, should absorb more sound and not be as reflective. Also, as I'm sure you know, you can tilt your amp at an angle so it's not beaming at the front row, and/or use a lower wattage amp. That's what I'm doing. I often use a smaller 15 watt amp tilted up toward me and mic it. If you don't want to use a lower wattage amp, then aim the amp across the stage rather than at the audience. That, or try an attenuator ( although the one I tried, I didn't care for the way it changed the tone of my amps )

6. Michael_V

Good tips. I did move from a 15W Matchless to a 6W about five years ago. Lowest that they go. I also have a 1W Marshall but that stays home. I put my amp on an amp wedge so that the speaker faces up at me and the back faces down at the stage rather than the front rows but they still get hit. Don't really want to use an attenuator either since it dissipates the mojo haha.

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

This.

8. Michael_V

I also have a set of custom IEMs that cost about $700. I bought them in a desperate attempt to get along with the whole amp backstage idea but still hated the sound. Too many variables that I can't control, and I am admittedly a huge control freak haha. I want to be able to hear (and enjoy) what I play even when the soundguys can't get their mix right. I just wanna have fun not endure my sets listening to a thin, lifeless version of myself...

9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Gobos. That's what they're for, to block sound.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

To the point of being willing to blast the crowd in your cabinet's cone of pain?

11. Michael_V

If need be haha. Actually, that's the point of this thread. Can I put something between them and the cone of pain?

12. Michael_V

YES! That's what I'm looking for! Thanks!

13. rdamato

One more thing: A digital board and iPad will give YOU control of you're monitor mix. It has been a game changer for us.

p19978 likes this.
  14. 335guy

335guy Member

I'm having a hard time believing a 6 watt amp is causing pain to the front of an audience. I have a 6 watt VHT and it can hardly keep up with a moderate volume drummer. Even my 15 watt Laney is kinda hard to hear if the band gets over a moderate stage volume. Still, if you need to block the front of the amp, then a small gobo filled with Roxul is probably your best bet for that. Of course, you'll need to mic it and run it through the mains and monitors if you expect to hear a 6 watt amp.

15. Michael_V

I know, right? 6W should not be a problem!

It's always miked and run FOH. I just want to use it as my monitor, so to speak.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Position it like a vocal monitor i.e. facing your face or knees if it sounds better:).
    Use a closed back cab or block the rear from the audience.

QUOTE="Michael_V, post: 21837362, member: 87875"]I know, right? 6W should not be a problem!

It's always miked and run FOH. I just want to use it as my monitor, so to speak.[/QUOTE]

17. Michael_V

Yes, I do put it on a wedge that points it up at me. Well, I did before amps were banned from the stage. But I'm bringing mine back haha. Just needed an idea how to help control the sound coming from the back of the amp. A gobos is the answer. Going to make one this weekend using some Roxul or Owens Corning 703 Fiberglass boards (depending what I can find at Lowes)!

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

19. Michael_V

Ding ding ding!

20. 335guy

335guy Member

Shoulda known. Typical of church gigs. " Arrgh, I can hear the electric guitar, so it must be too loud!"

Michael_V likes this.