Amp Shipping Boxes

dangeroso

Where do you guys go for good quality shipping boxes? Uline looks good, but I don't want to buy in bulk.

I've tried Guitar Center with zero luck. Apparently they are much more proactive in breaking down and recycling their boxes than they used to be.

ledzep618

My Guitar Center must be slow, they always have boxes. That or I grab one from work, we get some pretty thick boxes coming in.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I got one from guitar center but it involved me calling them like at open for several days in a row

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
I keep amp boxes if at all possible but haven't bought one of any kind of size in a long time. My shipping method for everything (even a Mesa 4x12) is to cut a larger box down to size after cutting some foam pieces for corners, grill cloth, controls etc, and then boxing it up 2 ply cardboard if needed and tape all over the place. I overpack everything.

mangoman

Gold Supporting Member
I've always had luck just going to my ups store and giving them the dimensions and suggesting the right box. I usually have bubble wrap and styro laying around to properly pack...that is when I don't still have the original box.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
I don't re-use shipping boxes unless they are in near perfect condition.
I purchase new heavy duty boxes and the water activated tape from ULine.
I buy large rolls of bubble wrap from esupplystore & large thick sheets of foam from Home Depot.
I also always take pictures of the entire packing process....... this way, in the event of shipping damage, I have proof that the amp was properly packed.

More work/expense to pack?......... yup, but totally worth the piece of mind.
Never had a damage claim in the 13+ years I've been a member here.

Here's one of the last amps I packed......

* Note - more packing went on top before the box was closed.

Last edited:

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I buy large rolls of bubble wrap from esupplystore & large thick sheets of foam from Home Depot.
I also always take pictures of the entire packing process....... this way, in the event of shipping damage, I have proof that the amp was properly packed.

Never had a damage claim in the 12 + years I've been a member here.

That's the way to pack an amp correctly... except never use any foam peanuts with heavy items. They compress way too much with heavy items like amps and can leave open space. Just use more bubble wrap or stiff foam so no chance for open space.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The best way to get amp boxes from GC is just be in there at the right time. Find out what days they usually get their new shipments in and go by on those days when they unbox them, before they have put them in the cardboard dumpster.

DrainBamage

That's overkill and not even the best option. Smaller is better.

If you have to use bubble wrap use the small bubbles. Big ones pop and if they do the that's a lot of surface area not cousioned.

Use heavy duty boxes that electrical appliances come in. (microwave, toaster) these are heavy duty and wont tear.

Use foam blocks that are cousioned that absorb impact at least 2 in thick (the ones amp manufactures ship with) around all corners. That's it not the whole amp unless you dont mind wasting money for more security.

If you feel you need to pull the tubes you didn't pack it proper.

Smaller is better. The bigger and heavyer it is the less care in handling it usually receives.

Never had a damage claim in the 13+ years I've been a member here.

* Note - more packing went on top before the box was closed.

DrainBamage

Yes that is the proper foam blocks that absorb impact. You can drop that from 5 feet and it bounces. Smaller is always better and receives better handling
Frenzel's technique is interesting. Less waste. Those foam pieces are firm but kinda rubbery. Good shock absorbers. The tubes were in boxes -not in sockets.
The amp is built like a tank anyways.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Use heavy duty boxes that electrical appliances come in. (microwave, toaster) these are heavy duty and wont tear.
Smaller is better. The bigger and heavyer it is the less care in handling it usually receives.

But too small boxes are not always better. Boxes the size of toasters and microwaves are more easily thrown. And if they can be thrown, they probably will be. ;) At least boxes a little larger can't be thrown.

DrainBamage

But too small boxes are not always better. Boxes the size of toasters and microwaves are more easily thrown. And if they can be thrown, they probably will be. ;) At least boxes a little larger can't be thrown.
Im a driver at UPS the bigger the less care.. Point A to B means means I don't want to pick you up and I will drop you, shove you, roll you whatever is easier for you. That's How the shipping industry work in the hubs unfortunately out of the publics eyes. Don't underestimate those foam blocks the depress fro 2inch to one inch under impact. That's why there there in new amps.

Trending Topics