Amp shipping FAIL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarfish, Feb 19, 2012.

1. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

My friend has been on the hunt for a Garnet Lil Rock amp. He finally wins one on eBay, and when it arrives at the post office he goes down to pick it up. Surprise!!!!! Look how the seller shipped it! No box!
    [​IMG]

He contacted the seller who was unwilling to work it out, so he ended up getting a refund through Paypal in mere moments.

I know eBay sellers can pull some weird stuff but this one is a head scratcher!

2. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Was it damaged?

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

And...why? You fail to mention if there was anything wrong with amp. Looks fine to me.

4. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Concur with the others... how was it damaged?

5. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Yeah cos the back of the amp looking clean is a real indicator of the stability of the interior components. :facepalm

I would have done the same thing and gotten a refund immediately. WTF is that. Some people are so asinine.

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

C'mon guys, isn't more about why someone would ship an amp without a box? If it's not damaged, he's an awfully lucky dude. I'd loved to see reactions if it were your amp that was delivered this way. I'm glad the guy got the refund and I think it's just. The dude shipping the amp is a complete moron, period.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I'm not saying the guy that shipped it wasn't a moron or that amps should be shipped without boxes... I just want to know... was it damaged? One assumes so... but if I received an amp like that and it worked without issue, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on a refund request.

I have received amps that were double boxed that didn't work when plugged in, after being told they were in perfect working condition when they shipped. And that's not casting aspersions on the seller... even well packed amps can have things go sideways, i.e., wrong, during shipping.

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

This is a joke right? No way the USPS takes this?

9. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Wow is this for real? Another question is how the hell does USPS accept this for shipping?

10. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I wouldnt want a amp that was shipped box less. Might have took few hard bumps or fell over regardless of any dents.

11. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

It's for real. I had to blank out my friend's address from the label before posting the pic. Was it damaged? Who knows. He drove down to the post office and that's what he was presented with. Would you be willing to take possession of it, take it home, and hope it works? I guess it depends on how badly you want the amp. For my friend, he'd been patiently waiting for one of these amps, but he didn't want it bad enough to be desperate. Another one will come along.

Hey, maybe it works fine...but I personally wouldn't have taken the chance.

And yeah, I was a little stunned USPS would accept that!

12. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

So the buyer got the refund and now the amp ships back in the same condition it was received? :D

13. MCK

MCK Member

Seems like this would make a good ad for Garnet Lil Rock amp... "We build them to last... Even USPS without packaging can't do them in!"

smallprint... do not try this at home children.

14. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

I would have tested it first. Might not be anything wrong with it.

15. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Maybe the post people took extra care with it because it wasn't an unknown thing in a box...

16. axeplayer

axeplayer Member

I'm thinking the seller didn't want to spend any extra money shipping the amp.
    Just like Rhinocaster said, ship it back in the "original package".

17. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

That's true. If a worker knew he was handling an amp he might just go easy on it. Still risky though.

18. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

For me, the amp arriving without a box speaks volumes about the seller and how he took care of it. You know how they say when you buy a used car, if it's super clean, that's a good sign the owner took care of it? Well, I guess it's that principle here. In this case, it tells me the previous owner didn't give a rat's butt about it, and probably even abused it. No thanks, I'll pass. Just not worth it.

Refusing it at the PO means it goes back to the seller on his dime IIRC. If the buyer took it home to try it out, then he'd have to pay to send it back...and BOX IT UP too! Not worth the risk/hassle IMO.

19. The Kid

The Kid Member

I can't believe that the usps would let it go out like that...

20. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Unbelievable...Seller has to be a complete douche.