Amp Shipping

vashondan

Gold Supporting Member
Do you guys remove the tubes and pack separately when shipping an amp? It will be double boxed with plenty of bubble wrap etc.

Thanks

Rumble5

I don't. I usually fill the inside of the cab with crumpled up newspaper or styrofoam to give them some support and help keep them in place. It seems like that's where they're most secure.

recto-robbie

I have, but I noticed that most makers don't. They will probably be alright if you make absolutely sure nothing in the box such as manual, power cord, footswitch or anything not bolted down can't bounce around and shatter them.

AXEnGEAR4J

I shipped many and many to me.
-Pull tubes bubble wrap and pack inside.
-Bubble wrap amp well, tape cardboard well all around tight.
-Bubble wrap once again well, tape cardboard well all around tight.

Done, inexpensive and most effective!
oh and it will pass all shipping requirements in order to collect insurance shipping damages!

Last edited:

swiveltung

I pull any unshielded tubes and put them in a small box after wrapping them. Also ty wrap the power cord in a way that it wont end up damaging a speaker. Protect the amp well, but don't make the box so big it's hard to grasp! It's often a compromise.

Karl Houseknecht

Silver Supporting Member
Do you guys remove the tubes and pack separately when shipping an amp?

Nope. And neither do most manufacturers. Heck, Marshall ships them overseas without removing them. Safest place for the tubes is in their sockets inside a combo or head shell. You probably run more risk of damaging them by pulling them out and by the buyer putting them in.

AXEnGEAR4J

I can show you pictures of expensive glass all through amps too from broken tubes after shipping!

Nope. And neither do most manufacturers. Heck, Marshall ships them overseas without removing them. Safest place for the tubes is in their sockets inside a combo or head shell. You probably run more risk of damaging them by pulling them out and by the buyer putting them in.

vashondan

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, I guess I need to decide. I've done it before but never felt totally comfortable with them out of the amp even bubble wrapped. An added box is an idea though. After reading a couple of horror stories about shippers and buyers on the site I just want to make sure that there's no question that it was shipped appropriately.

Thanks for your help.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
I can show you pictures of expensive glass all through amps too from broken tubes after shipping!

I am sure it happens. I have had tubes come to me broken in two instances and in both cases the tubes were pulled and wrapped separately. Since then I have always asked to have them remain in the amp and ship that way as well. Never had an issue that way.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Do you guys remove the tubes and pack separately when shipping an amp? It will be double boxed with plenty of bubble wrap etc.

Thanks

Yes. I bubble wrap each tube separately and put them in their own box at the back of the amp, against the baffle. I then stuff the back of the amp full of wadded-up newspapers, magazine pages, plastic grocery bags, etc so that the box of tubes will stay put and the power cord won't be flopping around back there during shipping.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Silver Supporting Member

Thanks
I used to separate but then noticed that all of the amps I bought from great builders came w the tubes in the amps. I asked one about it and he said from hundreds of amps he's shipped himself that's the safest place to keep them. A little pack material in the head cavity is a good idea though.

I've never had a tube break shipping this way. The key is over padding and double boxing, in my opinion. I don't want any claim issues so I overpackage to save myself and the buyer headaches w shipping damage.

AXEnGEAR4J

In used or older amps especially as the sockets are not as tight in many cases. Also the tubes may be worth half as much or more than the amp.
To be safe would be to remove, wrap, box if you want extra protection but I don't like to when I enclose them within the amp as the bubble will suspend them. Good to box and number each tube before bubble wrap.

I am sure it happens. I have had tubes come to me broken in two instances and in both cases the tubes were pulled and wrapped separately. Since then I have always asked to have them remain in the amp and ship that way as well. Never had an issue that way.

AXEnGEAR4J

Just don't put the box of tubes outside of the amp if shipped together!

Ok, I guess I need to decide. I've done it before but never felt totally comfortable with them out of the amp even bubble wrapped. An added box is an idea though. After reading a couple of horror stories about shippers and buyers on the site I just want to make sure that there's no question that it was shipped appropriately.

Thanks for your help.

vashondan

Gold Supporting Member
Dang thing went from just heavy to will I be able lift it to get it to the shipping center. Does UPS pick up at your home? No more 50 lb amps!

woof*

Thanks
Yes. Wrap tubes and number them individually. Put them in a small box and put box inside amp.

ledzep618

No I never box tubes other than the 1 or 2 times that the buyer has read too much TGP and is insistent on it. Having them seated in their proper place inside a 3/4" thick wooden box is safer than pulling them and putting them in a box.

Only time I've ever recieved an amp with damage the seller pulled all the tubes, wrapped them up, put them in a box then the amp must've shifted into the box bc all 6 tubes were transformed into a nice glassy dust by the time I got it. They would've been safe at home in the amp.

Karl Houseknecht

Silver Supporting Member
When shipping anything, the best packing material is AIR. It provides an absolutely perfect cushion between your shipping container and the item you're shipping. If you wanted to transport a bunch of glass tubes, I can't imagine a safer place than inside sockets surrounded by air, inside a chassis, inside a plywood box which is surrounded by air and foam, inside two more cardboard boxes.

Why you'd ever pull those tubes out of that protected environment is beyond me. I insist everyone leaves the tubes right where they are. Never a problem if the amp itself is properly packed.

blustrat

I shipped many and many to me.
-Pull tubes bubble wrap and pack inside.
-Bubble wrap amp well, tape cardboard well all around tight.
-Bubble wrap once again well, tape cardboard well all around tight.

Done, inexpensive and most effective!
oh and it will pass all shipping requirements in order to collect insurance shipping damages!

and i # the tubes so no mistakes are made later

Trending Topics

Top Bottom