• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

amp shopping in Chicagoland ???

kensmith

I am shopping for a used amp ....likely Fender reissue or sliverface (princeton, dlx rev, vibrolux).

Other than the big stores (GC and Sam Ash) where are other places to look? I have scoured Craiglist but I am sure there are good music shops that have some good used gear.....any recommendations?

I am far west suburbs but would travel for a good shop.

thanks!
Ken

909one

Maken is great for Boutique stuff but they don't have anything used for the most part.
The best place for used stuff in the city is Midwest Buy and Sell. Its on Irving Park and Austin. Its off the beaten path and the owners will give you a laugh, definitely not your high end boutique type store... more old school Chicagoans.
Like any used place, they sometimes have good stuff, sometimes not.
One thing to beware of... sometimes there are issues with the amps, so make sure you really try out the amp before you buy.
You can sometimes find some gems there. They usually have a dozen siilverfaces, a handful of blackfaces and sometimes a few Brownfaces, and once in a while a Tweed or two.
I played a killer Brown Pro there once.

kensmith

thanks for the suggestions guys, I ended up finding a DRRI (saw on ebay but closeby) for a pretty good price and will see how that does for me. Pick it up on Wednesday :)
Ken

GearHeadFred

Ray's Music Exchange in Calumet City

:roll

Sorry, couldn't resist... That's where the Blues Brothers shop for gear!!

Mike Fleming

Well if that DRRI doesn't work out for you then I second Midwest Buy and sell, it is silverface city. (was that a Joe Ely song?) And if you want to buy from them make sure to haggle.

Swarty

Thumbs up for for both Makin' Music & Midwest Buy & Sell. Makin' Music is where the profesionals (docs, lawyers, profs , etc) and rockstars go, Midwest Buy & Sell is where the musicians go, Wayne's been at it a long time and is just a fun guy to be around. Then you have Chicago Music Exchange sort of catering to both groups... but leaning more towards the top shelf and vintage offerings.

Trending Topics