Amp shopping sucks.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rollyfoster, May 8, 2015.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I have no idea what I want.

I have a Budda SD18 and it is a grear amp but isn't right for me.

On fantasy island, I shred gooey fusion Santana type lead Boogie tones and want to get a Mark V or King Snake. Total overkill. I also front a killer funk band on Fantasy Island so even Roland amps catch my attention.

Here in realityland, that is not going to work at home, and the gigs I play are far from my Fantasy Island tone. In realityland I play low volume gigs which require more Keith or Neil Young type of tones. Channel switching isn't reallt necessary in realityland.

Then I start looking into tweeds and ****, which would probably be fine but may pigeonhole my flexibility.

So do I want a deluxe reverb? Kinda, but I like an effects loop.

Do I want a Two Rock Studio Pro? They cost so damn much.

The internet is ruining me.

Not Through Yet likes this.
  2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

First of all, to be absolutely truthful, your post sounds like a whiny person with a first-world problem.

If you want to get those sounds but don't want the volume, buy an attenuator. The Fryette Power Station even has an FX Loop which you could use with a Deluxe Reverb, for instance. That would solve a couple of issues and open up a world of possibilities for you.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

3. rollyfoster

This whole website is based 100% on first world problems. Thanks for your input.

blcouch, saltydogg and Swirl like this.
  4. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Well, if you think a tweed will pigeonhole you or that you would have any use for an effects loop with a Deluxe Reverb (unless in realityland you get to play on 10 every night), then the internet has probably already ruined you.

5. mikebat

mikebat Member

I went through the same feelings when I was looking for a high gain channel switcher. I want hi gain tones that are not flubby or djent, and clean tones that bounce like a Fender. Regular guitar store shopping is a bummer. The selection, and the ambiance....yuck.

Living in Montreal, I don't have easy access to all these cool amps like Bogners, Tone King, Friedman..... Sure I can blindly buy one and have it shipped across the border and pay import fees.... but if I don't like it....I am in the hole for $$

I posted a thread gripping about it. Most said "try a Budda" "try a Helios" etc....not getting that it costs $$ to get those across the border, and even then, it is a blind crap shoot if I will like it. Then someone said "try PWE". I repeated that it I am in Canada, and these fancy boutique guys are just a pie in the sky to me.

Then they pointed out that PWE is actually headquartered in my hometown.

Now...I am saving my pennies for a PWE EH3.

6. rollyfoster

My point exactly! No idea what I am looking for.

7. MHG

MHG Member

Contact Taylor at Amplified Nation. He's super helpful, and his amps can be dialed in to sound amazing at any volume using the FX loop master control on the back as a global master volume. It works much better than any attenuator. They have gorgeous cleans, to singing fusion lead tones, and everything in between.

8. e???

e??? Member

Go try some out, this is just more internet nonsense, what are we gonna tell you? Call a few stores around your area and see what they say. And stay in reality-land damnit...

Come back to TGP when you have found what you love, and defend it like hell. No matter what they say.

9. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

Get a silverface pro reverb and some pedals and be done with it already!

10. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Try to read the words I wrote instead of replying with snarky remarks.

I mentioned how you could fix some of the problems you outlined.

11. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I recommend to first get an amp that has a great clean sound at the power and volume that you need. If it also has a good overdrive sound, great! Get your overdrive and/or distortion from a pedal or pedals.

12. 8len8

8len8 Member

I love amp shopping. It's just a glorified trade study. Consider the following to narrow down your options:

Max price you can pay.
    What bands you are trying to emulate.
    Combo vs head/cab (carrying convenience).
    Features needed (effect loop, reverb).
    Do you need volume boost for solos?
    How many channels? Clean plus a distorted, or even a third?
    How big and heavy can you deal with?
    Do you need it to be stocked in a local store so you can try it out first?

13. rollyfoster

That is how I end up at a Mark V. However, I had a IV prior to the SD18 and while it gave me all the options I technically wanted, I rarely ever used them and tweaking that thing between guitars and venues was just a rabbit hole of frustration.

The V is perfect for me on paper but I am really starting to think even a single channel would work out best.

Looking at my current situation gigwise is pointing me towards Ampeg, Tweeds, etc. but those seem to me to be less versatile than something like a Deluxe design.

14. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Amp shopping totally sucks.....especially when you have to wait months for something, only to find out the rep screwed up and didn't allocate the proper number of orders for the area due to it being a limited production amp.

Then you try to buy something else instead that would work well and there are none in stock and you are waiting for a couple of months once again....hoping that it will even show up in the next month.

I know....first world problems....

15. The Funk

The Funk Member

My amp does everything you would need in fantasy land AND reality land.

And it costs a lot less than a Two Rock. Mesa Lonestar Special.

16. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Try a Fuchs ODS, you can get a mod for under 1500$, it has everything you asked for.

17. garret

garret Member

:aok yup...

18. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

you're asking for things that single amps don't really do, ime.

Right tool for the job.

Neil uses a 5e3 deluxe. He runs it full up, and that amp has tons of sag and compression. Super sloppy output stage amplification glory. You only get that sound from CRANKING a mid focused amp with a tube rectifier. I use a 50's Gibson GA-20T or a 5e3 for this kind of thing.

It helps very much when playing this kind of rig to use your guitar volume to control exactly how distorted your amp is.

Keef used smaller tweeds sometimes, although not turned up as loud. BUT, many of the classic tones tunes were on ampegs, which have a more full range EQ character, and are overall cleaner amps. My ampeg Gemini is a monster amp, takes pedals like a champ, and has a nice clean sound, ranging into moderate OD when really cranked. I usually also play it cranked, but with my guitar turned down. Does the stones thing in spades.

The Santana "boogie" tone is based around preamp tube overdrive with a solid and tight bottom end, and can be more easily approximated by a pedal. The funk thing needs headroom to work.

I would recommend a smaller 2x 6v6 and 1 x 5y3 mid focused 1x12 combo for your more raggedy side, and a 30-50w amp with great cleans to be a pedal platform for the funkier stuff and the liquid, high gain but tight bottom end.

The ampeg b25, or V2 heads are hard to beat for TIGHT bottom end and versatile EQ.

I am not a huge fan of blackface fenders. They have a great mid scopped, sparkling sound, and a classic OD, but it is less adaptable than the warmer tweeds (which sound great on anything) and other amps with a less preset EQ section. The blackfaces are classic amps for sure, but I feel like they aren't the sound you've described in any of your wants.

I have a bunch of different amps that do different things and I pick the one that will work best for the task at hand.

H. Mac likes this.
  19. grapeshot

grapeshot Member

You expect him to consider your opinion after you call him out initially as a first world whiner? Classy.

20. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

He's proven me right so far.