Amp similar to the Jim Kelly 112 combo?

guitarnut_1

Been looking at this and I think this is exactly the sound I want, enough mids and drive, but when you dig in it gives in into this sweet spot and bloom. I want a simple 1 channel amp, possibly not more than 1.5k, was thinging about a 57 tweed twin amp, but they sound more scooped and don't have that creaminess that this Jim Kelly has:

I would want to possibly use a tubescreamer with a good one channel clean amp. I have rarely found amps with good drive and sparkly fendery cleans. Usually cost a fortune thou. This Kelly amp covers both but again, it is quite rare and costs quite a bit. So.... possibly good one clean channel that yields good results with a tubescreamer.

Have not been 100% satisfied with my Blues Deluxe which I use only on the clean channel with a tubescreamer.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I was going to suggest looking at Redplate amps, but I think they will be cost prohibitive. Have you looked at a speaker change and perhaps a Dumble-voiced overdrive pedal?.

guitarnut_1

I was going to suggest looking at Redplate amps, but I think they will be cost prohibitive. Have you looked at a speaker change and perhaps a Dumble-voiced overdrive pedal?.

I just got rid of a Celestion G12-65 (the "dumble speaker") out of my Blues Deluxe. Sounds good with some guitars and pups but horribly with P90s and way too muddy on the neck pup.

I can remember trying a Mesa V Twin pre amp with my Fender BD which gave it that fluid mids and still enough clarity. May give this a try again. Sounded kind of similar to the Jim Kelly.

Or get e 57 twin and a good TS with it.... it's hard when you are on a budget.

I want to control clarity from the guitars vol pot. I don't switch pedals on and off at all. If something's on, it's ALWAYS ON.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
Another thought: have you tried the Fender 1968 Custom Deluxe Reverb model? I think the first channel cranked up a little bit with a tube screamer could get you into that ballpark.

Peppy

Check out a current-model Magnatone Varsity. The non-reverb model, with the NFB switched to + (which actually removes the negative feedback), on about 6, will give you this type of tone. No pedals really need apply. Cleans up easily as well. Very simple, one channel, lightweight combo amp. Not similar to the swirly Magnatones that most are now familiar with and buying. Truly a hidden gem.

guitarnut_1

Another thought: have you tried the Fender 1968 Custom Deluxe Reverb model? I think the first channel cranked up a little bit with a tube screamer could get you into that ballpark.

Sounds a bit like a Fender tweed deluxe

these are all possible options. Ideally I wanted something with a bit more mids, but the TS or the Mesa V Twin Preamp could compensate that. I love the Marshall overdrive as well, but the cleans are just not satisfying for me. And I don't want to keep 10 amps. I always tend to go back to the Fender basic pedals platform.

I owned one of the original FACS amps. I have never encountered another amp that does exactly what that amp does. Maybe I should have kept it....looked like this one....

IMG_7597.jpg

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
So the Jim Kelly is based on one of these FACS amps? Never heard of them.... but the Jim Kelly sounds like grail tone to me.

Kelly made them and they are unique. I've had the opportunity to play a few years ago, but could never afford one.

Last edited:

BadHiwatt

So the Jim Kelly is based on one of these FACS amps? Never heard of them.... but the Jim Kelly sounds like grail tone to me.

Sorry for the confusion. Jim Kelly made a few different models of amps in the late 70s/early 80s. The FACS (Foot Activated Channel Switching) was the 2-channel version of the amp that was reissued by Kelly and Suhr a few years ago. The FACS is simply 2 of the single channel preamps in one amp, with one of the preamps being connected to the attenuator.

guitarnut_1

I didn't realize these amps were so special. I can hear this 3d bloom thing in the Bonamassa vid above. I seldom get this out of an amp. And this Kelly amp seems to clear wonderfully as well... dynamics, it's just all you need.

The attenuator in the FACS amp is not channel specific. If it were, that would make it a channel master volume. I had to search for this manual for the original Kelley amps. IN the section on the attenuator it in no uncertain terms notes that the unit is an ATTENUATOR that sits between amp's OT and the speaker. This is the way that my FACS amp worked. Confused I am.

http://www.jimkelleyamplifiers.com/docs.htm

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
I toured with a Kelley FACS for years.. nothing sounds like them....

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I think you could get in the ballgame with an early Boogie (Mark I - IIB) and a non mid-hump OD pedal (FDII in Comp-Cut, etc) for about $1,000. The catch is that to sound like the JB video it's gonna take a LOT of treble and presence to dial out the overly thick mids and bottom of the Boogie. The pedal will help with this but it'll pretty much be on constantly.

I was able to get similar tone with my Mark I reissue running 6V6's and using an FDII. Not perfect, but close enough without spending the $$$ for a Kelley.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom