Amp simulator & DI to remove amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rschultz13, Apr 17, 2015.

1. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Hi,

We've been mic'ing the electric guitar amp at church for years. Recently, we've been moving to IEM's and liking the results. Electric guitar is next.

So I'm looking for an amp simulator & DI, with Fender like clean or mild OD tones - pedals in front. The Tech21 Character series looks interesting, especially the Blonde. But it doesn't have a DI out. How's the Mooer Micro DI?

The Radial JDX looks interesting, I wonder if you can use it without the speaker hooked up... as in use the amp head into it as the DI. Doubt it.

Any suggestions?

2. ProfG

ProfG Member

I made this transition recently. I went with an Ethos preamp and am very satisfied. I run the speaker emulated out of the Ethos into a passive direct box. Sounds huge through the PA.

3. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

AMT F1 legend preamp cheaper, Shift Line Twin V2 pricey but incredible and with tube. Both have cab Sim out

4. rschultz13

What about Carl Martin Rock Bug?

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Two Notes Torpedo live and you just plug a tube head into it. No speakers, still tubes, direct, sounds studio pro grade.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

How far away is the mixer? The Tech21 pedals can comfortably push a 100' unbalanced line in a quiet environment with no loss of tone or excess noise. So if you're mixer is onstage or you're using a digital send box, then just use a 1/4" line out. If you're sending to the back of the auditorium with a snake, that won't work, but it will push any inexpensive direct box.

The Palmer Pocket Amp is a Tech21 GT2 with a built in direct box, and cheaper than many direct boxes. Sounds good on cleanish Fender mode. And the Tech21 BassDI is actually good sounding for clean guitar and does have an XLR output.

If you spend more there are a TON of great sounding alternatives, how much have you got?

7. rschultz13

Mixer is a ways away, ultimately need DI... which could be separate, but nicer if it's integrated. Budget is $100-300.

Mesa Cab Clone looks interesting, requires an amp but has a DI out.

8. joeleric26

joeleric26 Silver Supporting Member

These guys modded my Tech21 Liverpool and added a DI. They could mod a Blonde the same way. Works great. We've got an iso cab back stage at church and I actually prefer the direct tone. It's not like having an amp on the platform with you, but it does improve the house mix for worship.

They installed a toggle that turns the pedal on or off in the XLR independent of the footswitch, so I could run out of the 1/4" to an amp with the pedal off and out of the XLR direct to the house with the pedal on. I ran like this when I first got it so I could tweak the pedal settings to match the tone of my actual amp. Since then I've just run the XLR.

Here's the site.

http://www.putnamguitars.com/mods.htm

Here's my board. The second pic shows a closeup of the modded DI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. joeleric26

Looking at the Putnam site I see they can add a DI to the Tech 21 FlyRig. I may have to grab one of those for the church just to have as an extra quick backline option.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I use a Palmer PD-09 with my pedal board.
    All of the sound mixers ( i lead worship at three different churches) liked my guitar sound.
    Had the Carl Martin Rock Bug, its a nice 2nd choice

Sorry you are losing your amp.

11. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I've been playing at church for a long time now, and this is bar none the best solution. We also have a Mesa CabClone and it's ok, but nothing beats the Torpedo Live and a real Tube Amp

12. joeleric26

You guys suggesting the Two Notes option are correct in that it's the "best" direct solution, but the original poster set his budget at $100 - $300. If you could point me to where to pick up a Torpedo for $300 bucks, I'll head there immediately with my credit card out.

Semitone and IAm MI like this.
  13. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

^ I've had several palmers, radial jdx, and the torpedo... While I much prefer a mic, the torpedo cab is an excellent unit. The others with a load box work well as well... Just not AS well as it could;) good luck!

14. ww89

ww89 Member

I am very happy with the Rock Bug, it is very good when it comes to clean sound og almost clean. I am still looking for a cab sim, that really gets the feel and sound of a dirty tube amp. Tech 21 British didn´t do it for me. But you have to remember, when you are going for that cab sim Di box, you need a good quality PA, that can "handle" a guitar signal. My own Dynacord PA loves the Rock bug, but I wouldn´t even dream of using it on the PA, that's in the our band's rehearsel room. It hasn't got the muscle nor sound quality to pull it of :)

15. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

It's called "saving". It is absolutely the best, if you want to continue using your tubes, and have a consistent and professional quality cab emulation direct to the board. If that's not your top priority, then by all means, don't worry about saving.

16. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I have radial DI's and others. My favorite is the Mooer Micro Di. Plug your pedalboard in it a you are set.

17. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Ethos Clean for me. By the time I'm running direct, last thing I want to do is haul a tube amp. The Clean has a ton of EQ and a great speaker sim. Add the fusion boost and it's also a great sounding gain pedal. I leave it I'm my chain as a clean boost and just plug the board in when I'm ampless (planned or otherwise). Recently bought a second one for my Nano.

If I need a DI after the board I use my trusty Radial JDI, but most of the time I can run 1/4 to an appropriate channel on the mixer (ie one the runs line level and bypasses the board's preamp) and a DI isn't necessary.

rschultz13 likes this.
  18. mannyc

mannyc Member

theres a pedal version of the ada mp1 now!

19. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

20. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Are the DOD/Digitech pedals with speaker simulated outs a usable option for this? And is the speaker voicing still active when the pedal is in bypass mode?