Amp simulators

METAL

Real amps aren't currently an option for me when it comes to recording. Can anyone recommend a good realistic sounding amp modeller (either software or hardware)? I am looking for something that is good for metal (has good high gain and crunch tones). Nothing too expensive, I know Axe FX and Kempers are good, but I don't have $3k to spend on one.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
What is your budget? Are you looking for a $100 plugin or would a $600 hardware device be acceptable?

Ejay

You mentioned Kemper..if you can afford a second hand one...go for that and sell all the pedals you currently run :)

Consider the Boss katana, i dont own one (yet), but was very impressed with it (Didnt check the recording output, theres a thread on this forum about it)
If you ever get tired of the katanas amp section, its a pretty decent power amp for any pre amp you may own in the future.

Else, try software Solutions in Your daw...or even your phone...and compare them to budget modelers.

If you do wanna go for a budget hardware solution, check the vox multi effect boards.

richpjr

$500CAD max. Doesn't matter if it's software or hardware, whatever sounds the best for that price.

For software, I've used Amplitube, Bias or my favorite S-Gear all would do exactly what you are looking at for less than your budget. S-Gear has a free fully functioning 15 trial if you'd like to check it out at no cost.

DanR

I think the Ethos Clean is a great solution for under $300. The speaker sim is fantastic IMHO. That would leave you some cash for a distortion pedal or two.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
S-Gear, Overloud TH3, Bias Amp for software solutions, ElevenRack for a hardware solution.

Last edited:
Most of the VST modelers do metal just fine. It's the cleans that they struggle with

Any of PODfarm, AmpliTube, GTRRig, etc will emulate a Marshall stack or Bogner what-have-you very nicely

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I think software and a computer interface is going to be the most economical solution by far.

schwa

Lots of good comments. Even though I play through amps whenever possible, I've also used modelers and software.

Regarding hardware, Kemper and Axe FX are the king of the hill. But in a recording context (with other stuff going on), I think some of the legacy Line6 is worth considering. I saw a PODxt on my local CL this week for $50. It's not the greatest, but totally worth $50.

When it comes to software, I think different products do different things well. I like Marshall amps, and I like the Marshalls in Amplitube. I like the Big Muff in TH3 better than Amplitube. All of them have a free demo period, there's no harm in trying. All of the software goes on sale several times a year. If you're patient, you can often save 50% off the full price.

electricity17

Silver Supporting Member
Fryette GP/DI seems like a strong choice if you can swing the price. You'd need to pair it with some kind of audio interface to get the signal into a computer. Other options would be one of the tube preamp pedals like the Satellite Eradicator, Effectrode Blackbird, etc.

For plugins, the Blue Cat Destructor looked interesting. I'd personally take any of the above hardware first, but this might be a cool option at a lower price.

Last thought would be a classic Sansamp or another Tech 21 solid state pedal. Good luck!

Che_Guitarra

Line 6 POD HD. Bean or floorboard - take your pick. You should be able to pick them up for a couple of hundred bucks second hand. I have the rackmount version and am more than happy with it.

Maltese Fan

Digitech GSP 1101. With the mustbebeta firmware you can load IR's. Tons of great models for high gain.
My fave is the 5150, though the Rectifier and DSL sound great too.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
If you just want something for home/recording and already have a recording setup - here's another vote for Bias Amp or Amplitube. You should be able to get something usable for about $200.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom