Amp Smell - smoker cigarette

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrpingua, Jun 12, 2019.

1. mrpingua

mrpingua Supporting Member

Hi Guys,

Recently scored a good deal on a Mesa Mark V. Sounds great really digging how it sounds.

One problem is the guy I bought it from was a smoker. It smells alot. Any good tips for removing the smell without damaging the amp?

I removed power and use a very mild damp cloth to wipe off some of the dust. Maybe took down 10% of the smell.

QRSS likes this.
  2. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

The grill cloth traps the odors the worst. I have had some success with Oxyclean powder mixed in hot water. I used a soft scrub brush. If it is really bad, I would remove the speaker and clean the grill cloth from both sides. The dust on the speaker cone will be stinky too, so I would wipe that off carefully while the speaker is out. Try not to get the speaker cone wet!

DIECHEATO likes this.
  3. mrpingua

Its a head only. So that at least reduces the surface area.

Good comment about the grill both. I may remove the faceplate and give it a good wipedown that way.

4. mrpingua

Found this article:

https://lifehacker.com/how-can-i-get-the-smoke-smell-out-of-things-1633743079

I am trying the whole thing of putting the amp in trash bags with tons of Dryer sheets. I put two trashbags one left to right and right to left sealed it up as best as I could. The amp smelled so much that it was making my office smell like Cig. Now the room smells like Dryer sheet. Lets call this progress (for now).

Will post on progress after I let it sit for a day or two.

5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I bought an amp that had been heavily gigged in smoky bars for years and it STUNK. There was no way of ever getting that smell out of that amp without scrubbing every mm of it. Probably needed a new headshell. It was sold as it stunk out my man cave. I naturally did try to carefully clean it. It didn't work.

6. mrpingua

I'm going to give it the ole college try! Will post back with findings.

7. Neff

Neff Member

I don’t know about removing the smell from amps but...

Several years ago I bought a used Toyota Land Cruiser that stank HEAVILY of old cigarette smoke. I thought there was no hope but the guy says “come back tomorrow”. He puts this device in there, think it was an ionizing air cleaner of some sort. It took that smell completely away. I mean, we drove that thing for several years and never once got a hint of cigarettes ever again.

underdog726, mrpingua and QRSS like this.
  8. BuckshotJenkins

BuckshotJenkins Silver Supporting Member

I bought a used Peavey Bandit once, and it arrived with an extremely overpowering cigarette smell. Somewhere along the line I read that leaving the amp outside on a sunny day and letting it air out helps...Then again that was just a cheap Peavey Bandit, but it seemed to work.

crazyneddie and VJF like this.
  9. underdog726

underdog726 Member

Use a ozone generator, like the used car dealers and detailers use. I have one, you can get one for around $100. Edited because i didnt see a couple post up, that it was mentioned. Its a ozone generator tho.

10. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

I had the same problem last year. Mine was a soldano head that sounded so good I had to have despite the smell.
    Mine smelled like it had some giggin time at bars. I sat it on top of my cab for an hour and my cab would start smelling like cigarette too.

I removed the chassis out and let both the chassis and the head shell sit outside in hot texas sun. That helped a little and then I bought a "zero odor spray" which you can easily get from Walmart, online, etc.
    I sprayed over the head shell soaked wet left it overnight and wiped with clean cloth. I did this process 3 times and I'd say the smell was gone 90%. Now I can barely smell it.

BuckshotJenkins and mrpingua like this.
  11. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Yes, leave it outside in the sun ... and give me your address o_O

blackba, gtrbarbarian, yfeefy and 3 others like this.
  12. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Short of using an ozone generator, or scrubbing every square inch of the amp repeatedly, there's not much you can do. Smoke gets into everything, and the chemicals in the smoke cling on to everything with a fury.
    It was probably an ozone generator.

Neff likes this.
  13. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

If you hqve a blower, put it outside, qnd blast it with fresh air for a while with the blower.

14. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Its relatively easy to make an ion generator/cannon. Many years ago, found an old neon sign transformer for $5 at a building recycle place. Use a piece of glass plate between two wire screens, inserted into a 4" pvc pipe of about 10-12" and then mounted a computer dc fan on one end of the pvc pipe...pumps out/blast ions...ion cannon. I've used it for years to de-stink things/rooms/cars...in fact neighbors had a small accidental wood fire their house...and it worked like a charm. Commercial units can cost several thousand. WARNING...besides electrocution...ozone/ion generator is hazardous to your health...don't be in the same room/area when its operating. Blast the amp in a closed small area/room for several hours, turn off the cannon and wait for a couple more hours for the ozone to dissipate before entering the room.

C-4 likes this.
  15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Good luck. I like the de-ionizer and ion cannon idea. (I'd go for the ion cannon just to be able to say I used one!) I think a problem with smokers and amps is that the electronics sort of attract smoke particles, and then the stuff gets the old heat treatment "fusion" effect, really adhering where they land. I hope those various products work, because for me, the smell is a deal breaker -- distracting and negative.

16. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

You can scrub it and sit it outside, but it never removes it totally. Only two ways to completely remove it: Time (months to years depending on how bad) or an Ozone generator.

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Probably easier to just start smoking.

gearscrubs, TubeStack, yakyak and 7 others like this.
  18. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

I can only imagine what amp repair techs have to go through.

Pedals are bad enough. I vacuumed enough cat hair from under a volume pedal treadle one time that I could have knitted a new cat. Then I soaked it in Febreze to get the smell out. I'm not doing this any more.

blackba likes this.
  19. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

I personally would avoid to use any kind of ozone generator in vicinity of a guitar amp or any kind of studio environment with pricy electronic gear.

Ozone will oxidize iron, zinc, aluminium, steel etc. and possibly disintegrate rubber, PVC etc. very quickly.

Ozone is excellent to kill smell but is also excellent to kill a lot of other things in the process.

20. harvey j

harvey j Member

I never had any luck getting that smell out, good luck.