amp sounding thin

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by gwr, Jan 14, 2015.

1. gwr

gwr Member

I bought a Goodsell super17 mk2 few weeks ago and on first gig sounded fantastic,best amp I've ever played through,on the next couple gigs I felt it had lost something,the punch and mids didn't seem to be present and cutting through as before even at the same venue I first played it.It does it with all guitars and I changed cords couple times with same results,did the obvious with tubes changing power,v1,phase inverter and even rectifier all with no improvement,I can't get the fat tone like I had before.I gave Richard a call and was told to try different rectifier tube and if that doesn't work ultimately send to him for repair which I'm hesitant to do for fear chassis might get damaged during shipping or being told there is nothing wrong,any suggestions?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Schematic, measure voltages, measure power tube idle current, trace signal. Or, take it to someone who can do this.

Troubleshooting isn't magic.

3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Swap your known good spare tubes into each socket in turn.
    If no improvement, replace the original and move on.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

His OP is vague, but my interpretation is that he's already done that.

5. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Doh, sorry!
    It may just be different environmental conditions - temperature/humidity/pressure.
    The tonal balance and 'liveliness' of my band room seems to change every week, though the tone of the (close mic'ed) recordings stays quite consistent.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

^^^ Yeah, isn't it amazing how the same amp can sound so different on different days...even in the same location? ;)

7. gwr

gwr Member

I've done everything that I can do,my best bet is to send it off and have Richard check it out,just fear shipping,doesn't matter the carrier I think none of them are careful with fragile items.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Try crossing the amp over to another speaker. Your speaker may be the culprit.

9. gwr

gwr Member

Yeah I tried a different speaker,same results.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

If you DO ship, please read one of the 50 threads in the Amp forum on how not to pack...and how TO pack. ;) Packing is VERY important.

11. gwr

gwr Member

^^^will do,I could take it to local amp tech but I would rather send it back to the builder,he knows it best unfortunately that involves shipping but I'll read up on it...