Amp sounds good in room but not miked. Please help!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by T-Rad, May 3, 2015.

1. T-Rad

T-Rad Member

I have a Suhr Badger 18 amp and matching 112 cab that sounds awesome while I'm playing in my room. When I play live, I mic it with an SM57. The clean tone sounds decent but once I kick on an overdrive, it doesn't sound anything like it does when I'm in my room. It sounds really fizzy and mushy as opposed to when I'm in my room it sounds nice and crunchy. On demo videos the amp sounds fantastic when they're miked.

What can I do to improve the tone? In the demo videos they're mostly using an SM57 and a Royer so I I know that helps but I never had this problem with my old Fender Twin.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Placement (move the mike around. Straight on the center of the speaker doesn't sound best always... or, to me, ever)? Volume (turn the amp down a little)? Other stuff around (stuff sitting on amp)? Is the mike TOUCHING the grill? (do NOT do this) Use a little less gain than you think you need, perhaps? get the amp off the floor, or put some kind of padding (carpet will do) between the amp and the floor? Perhaps there are loose screws rattling that the mike can hear but you can't?

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

Off axis near the edge of the cone.

4. T-Rad

T-Rad Member

I place the mic at the edge of the cone a 3-4 inches from the grill. I thought that volume might be an issue but on the demo vids the volume is cranked. I was thinking of miking the cab like a foot away and see how that sounds.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

Straight on = |
    Off axis = \

6. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

That's why we have different mics! I have a POS mic that I got SOMEWHERE when I bought something else that's great when mic'ing CERTAIN amps. Other amps, not so good. I've used condensers, ribbons. cardioids, you name it. Sometimes you have to just futch with it. Mike.

7. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

2 tips:

First off put your ear up to the speaker and listen to what the mic hears. Lots of times this.sounds MUCH different than what you hear in the Room. Tweak your tone to sound good with the mic and with the overall mix. Usually this is a problem of too much lows and highs, and not enough mids.
    Note this tone may not Sound as pleasing to You in the room.

2nd, move the mic around and find the sweet spot. Usually its more towards the outside of the speaker. When you find the Spot place a square of electrical tape around it and make about a 2 inch square. Use this as the starting Point every time mic it.

8. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

57s are so dependent on placement - a few mm can be the difference between 'just right' and 'shrill and fizzy' - the main reason I don't recommend them for amp micing beginners. As others have said, if it sounds fizzy turn it off axis and move closer to the edge. Move it around while wearing headphones so you can hear the difference as it's moved, or stay in the control room and get someone else to move it around.

For live use, this is one reason I tend to prefer an e906 - much wider sweet spot IME when micing gainy guitar cabs.

9. OilsFan

OilsFan Member

Like said before it is all about placement. Do not be afraid to move the mic back away from the amp to get more room in and knock the edge off. I mic my Super reverb out on the edge of the cone with a 609 about two inches off the cloth and use a condenser about eight feet away to get the room then mix to taste. Usually I use about 90% 609 and 10% condenser.

10. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

Experiment, experiment, experiment. The sound you hear in the room is very different than the sound the speaker is putting out 1" from the cone in ANY position. It's modified by room acoustics AND filtered by your brain.

The only answer here is spending lots of time looking for the mic'ed spot that makes it sound like you hear it in your head. No magic.

11. T-Rad

T-Rad Member

Lots of good stuff! Thanks guys! I'll definitely be experimenting for that sweet spot. I know I can get a good sound out of it based on the demo videos