Amp sounds like crap. tubes or speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by supersonic1414, Feb 14, 2012.

1. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

My favorite 5 watt 1x10 practice amp sounds like ceap suddenly with no bloom and just farty distortion, even where it is usually very clean and sparkly. It is a 1 6v6 2 12ax7 amp. If it is the tubes, should I just swap them all or is it likely power or preamp? Or could it be the speaker? Any advice on how to figure it out would be great. Haven't plate it in a few weeks, but last time it was perfect.

Cheers

2. Jonnygeetard

Jonnygeetard Member

I wouldn't recommend eating the amp.

3. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

Well you could always swap the two 12Ax7s to see if that has an impact but past that get a new set of tubes and never look back.

4. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

If I interpret "fart distortion" correctly, I might investigate the integrity of the speaker cone. If you think it could be the tubes, just go ahead and swap them out, 3 tubes is not a big investment. Theoretically power tubes should last a very long time, but when I retube my amps, I just do them all for consistency and because I'm a little OCD

5. LPVM

LPVM Member

I think ledzep618 meant to say preamp tubes last a long time. And I second his request for more detail. Bad, farty distortion and lack of sparkle & punch is also one of the signs of failing filter caps but start with the obvious, easy stuff first like tubes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

What type of amp is this?

7. supersonic1414

It's my beloved Star Nova..... Driving me mad?.. And as I mentioned to Bender, I am having issues getting the back off to investigate the tubes.... What did you use to pry yours off, Bender?

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

The first thing I check with tube amps is the tubes. I'd replace the power tubes and re-bias and see if that does the trick.

9. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I bet your power tube is spent. Stab in a new one.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

What kind of 6V6? There are still some really crappy ones on the market. I'm not a fan of JJ's current 6L6's or 12AX7's, but their 6V6's can usually hold up against all kinds of abuse.

You might also try an EH 6V6 - just put a set in a silverface DR and am really enjoying them!

11. supersonic1414

I guess I will grab a 6v6 tomorrow ( jj) and try it...I can't get the damn back off the amp as it appears they screwed it on before the glue dried on the tolex and I am afraid of fu**ing it up.....so I can't get the 12ax7s out because they are in those little tubes with a spring and screwed in....I also can't get the speaker out for the same reason, so if it is not the 6v6, I am going to have to take it to a tech to fix......which sucks.

Unless anyone has ideas on how to get the back off without damaging it....

12. LPVM

LPVM Member

It's either sticking or maybe has expanded a little so it's fitting tight. Take the screws out and lay the amp face down then give the back a smack or two with the heel of your palm to loosen it up before trying to lift it out. It's a single 6V6 powered class A amp and probably has a fixed bias so just replacing the 6V6 will be all you will have to do. I find the EH 6V6 tubes sound best in my Vibro Champ and they are easy to find since most stores seem to carry them.

13. supersonic1414

Well, it appears to be the power tube as that is the one I can reach without removing the back and I put it one of my Metropolitans tubes and sounds much better.....but I still gotta figure out how to get this back off. It simply does not want to be removed. N