Amp squealing with effects, good without

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tim.crowe, Apr 13, 2015.

1. tim.crowe

tim.crowe Member

So my buddy just got a new custom made amp. It sounds amazing, but when he puts his pedal board in front of it, it gets a weird high pitched squeal when it's on the overdrive channel. It doesn't happen when he plugs straight into the amp, and it doesn't happen when he goes through the effects into the clean channel.

Anyone experience this type of thing? Any ideas?

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

Are the pedals powered win batteries or a power brick? Try adding one pedal at a time until the squeal starts.

3. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

What type of effects? Gain, I'm guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

wah plugged in backwards?

5. tim.crowe

tim.crowe Member

Hey uses 2 pedal powers, so it's all isolated. He tried a couple of different combinations but not the pedals individually. He mentioned giving it a try though. Thanks!

6. tim.crowe

tim.crowe Member

There's an OD in there but not anything high gain. It happens even when the pedals are off, so feedback from gain has been ruled out. I'm thinking maybe some sort of ground loop issue but I don't know enough about that stuff to be sure.

Thanks!

7. tim.crowe

tim.crowe Member

Haha, no. There's no wah in the line.

8. tim.crowe

tim.crowe Member

It's also worth noting his rig is stereo. Could it be some issue related to that? Maybe the amps are out of phase or have a ground loop issue when the OD channel is engaged?

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Some pickup and cheap cables can be microphonic. Roll vol knob off does it stop? PU. Still there move/wiggle cables around, hear rustling sounds through amp, you've found that cable.

10. tim.crowe

tim.crowe Member

Thanks man, I'll have him try it out.

11. stucker

stucker Member

I'll bet there is a bad connection (grounding issue) from his pedal power to one of his effects. I unfortunately had this same issue at a gig. Soundcheck was flawless but I needed to move my board out of the way before the first set.

Once our first set started my Strat was wanting to squeal every time I played fills or played a solo. It seemed as if the high-mids had increased on their own! And my volume pedal wouldn't work correctly (only on or off)!

I made it through the set OK but everyone complained that I was too loud (not understanding what was going on). During the break I discovered that the cable from my pedal power to my Rockett Blue Note had a crimp and the connection was intermittent. At least the conncetion didn't open-circuit during the set.

Have your friend check all his power cables!

12. tim.crowe

tim.crowe Member

Thanks for the info. I'll mention it to him. I'm not sure if he's been keeping track of this thread or not. And that sucks that happened to you. Nothing worse than gear messing up a show.