Amp squeals uncontrollably

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by CBeeper, Oct 4, 2006.

1. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Maybe someone can help me with this. When I try to run my amps in a stereo rig for some reason one of them starts to squeal as soon as you take it off stand-by. I've been running two amps for years but this one particular amp seems to not like the idea. If I unplug the second amp she's fine. What cause's this? Grounding issues? I run the amps through my pedalboard with a Gig-fx Chopper splitting the signal at the end of the chain.Every other amp I've run through this set up has worked before.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Wierd! Have you tried the amp individually again just to be sure it doesn't have a problem?

3. CBeeper

Yes. It works fine. I went nuts for a week. I re-tubed it. Changed out the preamp tubes multiple times. Poked around inside to see if any of the leads had become loose. Nothing. I would have the amp on the bench and it would play fine. As soon a s I put it together and plugged it in the set up it would ring and squeal. I finally realized it was the stereo set up when I unplugged the other amp. I was just going to try the other wire to see if the lead was bad and the noise stopped dead.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What happens when you connect the amps to the splitting device with no other connections going into the splitting device?

5. CBeeper

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a go this evening.

6. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

To see if it's a grounding issue use a AC ground lift on one amp. If it goes away it's a grounding problem with that new amp your trying to use.

I had this happen with a Crate SS amp. Never solved it but it was definatly a grounding issue inside the Crate amp.

-Tony

7. CBeeper

Good suggestion. I'll give it another go tonight and see if I can isolate the problem.

8. brad347

brad347 Member

There's only one possible answer:

it's a ghost.

9. CBeeper

:crazy :AOK

10. CBeeper

Bingo! It was a grounding issue. Lifted the ground on one of the amps a the squeal is gone. You learn something new every day.

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Is that safe?

12. brad347

brad347 Member

if the amps are both running on the same rig then I think only one needs to be grounded. Wouldn't swear to that though.

13. CBeeper

I'll check with the manufacturer on the grounding issue. Something isn't right in any event since this is the first in about 12 amps I've owned that has done this.