amp stand or the ground?

sf audio

Just took my black pearl 2X12 off the stand and on the floor. I swear it sounds better this way.

Does an amp on the ground contribute to tone in any way? Just seems to sound more solid. Maybe I'm just high...:hiP

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Connecting the cab to the floor increases bass response. Sometimes dramatically so.

eric-d

I never liked amp stands.... it always sounded brighter and thinner - maybe because it was pointing at my head.....

hamfist

Just took my black pearl 2X12 off the stand and on the floor. I swear it sounds better this way.
Maybe this could be completely accounted for by the fact that you are now listening to the amp from a different angle. Obviously this will make a huge difference as to the frequency range you hear from your amp.

Personally I really like my cab up on a stand or on a table. If the cab is the only source of my sound at a gig, then it will tend to spread the sound better if up off the floor. I actually also like listening to it near to "on axis" rather more.

johnh

I've been through several amp stands. When I played a Marshall JCM900 1x12 combo I felt it sounded better on a stand, but then there was plenty of bass response in that amp.

Now that I play two Blues Jnr's I don't have any bass response to spare so my amps stay firmly on the ground. They really sound awful to my ears when raised off the ground. I think this is a common complaint about low powereed combos. There is an interview with Jim Campolingo in a recent Tonequest Report where he says that he keeps his Princton Reverbs on the ground for exactly the same reason.

I've cobbled together a homemade stand so that I can still point my Blues Jnr's at my head (since I haven't yet had my ears surgically moved to my shins). For a readily available option the Standback amp stand looks like a great bet.

Mr.Hanky

I never liked stands. The last thing I want is a speaker cone pointed at my ear for a set or two, especially if it is 10 feet away or less.

lannyhall

I've often used stands, mainly to get the amp close enough to the guitar to have the harmonics roll over on certain sustained notes without having to be too loud. That said, I have switched to the Sound Enhancer. It tilts the amp up, but still couples the sound to the floor, which tends to enhance the lower end.

I bought two Sound Enhancers, but I have no affiliation with the company, if it is still in business. Their website ( www.soundenhancer.com ) does not appear to have been updated recently.

My drri on the ground was a bassy muffled mess when I was standing...so I put it on a stand and it became a harsh bright mess, especially when pointed right at me...so I put a beam blocker in it which really helped with the directionality of this amp...so now on the ground it sounds great with more low end, and on a stand it sounds great with a brighter tone, noe muffled mess, no harshness...

I play through a drri and a peavel classic 30...the drri is on the ground and I use it for some serious low end, the classic is on a stand and I use it for more high end...both have beam blockers so I can walk around the amps and tone doesnt change...this will keem me happy until I can get some 4x12's for both amps

mcgriff420

To you guys that prefer your amps on the ground so they're not so beamy, what is your audience hearing? Are you mic'ing your amps and adding bass at the board?

musicman1

Ultimate Support Genesis amp stand. Only lifts the amp about 6 inches off the floor and really acts as more of a tilt back device. I cant hear myself without it.

Trending Topics