Amp stand

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Foorever, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Foorever

Foorever Member

I've looked on musicians friend and stuff for an amp stand that can hold a 2x12 and head that doesn't tilt. I also wanted it to have support for the back. Basically just like this one only so it doesn't have to be tilter http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPRS7000

I was thinking last resort just buying that one and modifying it slightly to fit my needs. Is there anything else?

2. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

I gots that one. It doesn't dynamically tilt (change angle forward/back) if that's what you mean... it's a welded-in fixed angle of tilt... The big knobulators on the side might look like it but are just there for a 'handle' on the pins in each side channel for the slide up and down.

If you want one that's 90 degrees vertical front with no tilt at all, you could pull both top brackets off, have somebody use a miter cutoff to cut them square, and then weld back on... probably be a lot of work tho' and need a fair bit of repainting and fussing around... the foam padding would melt down during the cutoff and weld as well (although probably the easiest thing to re-do afterwards...) Rather than do that, for a simple vertical stand, I'd go to a metal shop and get a guy to custom build one for you... find a tig welder and he could make it out of aluminum channel as well so it'd be light and cool looking.

Last small comment if you go with this one - mine had a few classic "made-cheap-overseas" quality issues. For the most part it's sturdy as heck and I'm happy with it but I think a couple of the holes for the pins weren't drilled all the way through...

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

I have this one - http://www.giraffemusicstands.co.uk/?page=product&group=Guitar%20accessories&id=41 . Fantastic stand.

Unfortunately it probably won't help you much as they are made in the UK. I don't think they distribute to the USA. Mine could actually be for sale if you can't find anything similar in the US, but it would need to be $50 plus shipping (plus potential import fees) so I expect it's rather too expensive for you.

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Why do you want to put your amp on a stand? Sounds better, and better bass response just sitting on the stage, IMHO.

5. VanR

VanR Senior Member

6. cmr415

cmr415 Member

That Giraffe stand is exactly what I need. Damn!

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I'm glad you mentioned that, and I'll just re-iterate: you'll get less bass response when you lift the amp up off the ground. This may not be a bad thing, though - I rather prefer it for my Victoria Regal II combo, which already has enough bass.

Just something to consider, if you have not already!

- Thom

8. RockDC

RockDC Member

But when you stick a mic on it it'll still sound the same either way.

9. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Hmmm - yes and no. although it may sound the same through the mic, you'll get none of the bass response that gets transmitted, or can be felt, through the floor. Some of the lower frequencies that either the mic may not pick up or the sound tech may cut, can still be "felt". Putting it up on a stand negates that whole part of the equation.

Having said that, this factor may not be important to you, so it may matter little or not at all.

Another thing to consider is that your band mates may hate you for propping up your amp and having all the shrill frequencies aiming right at their heads. They likely prefer it if the highs are pointing at their knees while they can still "feel" your playing on the stage when the lows travel along the floor. Yet another thought :).

10. Foorever

Foorever Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Good stuff

11. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

The idea is to point the amp at me and not my band mates. As far as bass loss....if the rest of the band is loud enough, you likely won't notice it in the mix. Plus you can always turn up the bass on your amp if needed.

12. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

13. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

14. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I bought a stand just like the "giraffe" stand someone mentioned earlier. Got it at GC about $40. Soundstage is the brand I think. Holds amp with no tilt. Have used my LSC on it that weighs #72 with no prob.

15. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

If you don't mind the physical modifications, you could install the old style Fender piggyback hardware on amp and cab. I had the same problem with my JTM 45 head and 212 cab, but wound up reversing the amp supports on a Peavey amp stand so that they were closer to a vertical angle. While it worked, I still worried about slippage... :confused:

Mike