1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Amp Suggestions EL34 for 60s/70s rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yannis, Mar 12, 2006.

1. yannis

yannis Member

Hi all.

Right i would really appreciate your suggestions on an EL34 based amp that will satisfy the following points. I have done a relative search in the market/forums etc but i want your expertise as where i live i cant test a lot of amps.

1. VERY good tones from home volume to live volume (with or without a hotplate i already have an 8ohm hotplate) in other words the MV should work well!
    2. Tones: 60s and 70s blues/hard rock with a bias towards Zeppelin, GnR, Sabbath, Cream, Purple, Hendrix. (sounds like marshall teritory to me)
    3. Good build quality, i dont care if it is ptp or pcb, but it must not have pcb mounted pots/valves. Must be very reliable and user serviceable (lacking qualified amp techs).
    4. Preferably non-US made since i want reasonable European pricing and availability, so rocafortes, germinos etc wont work for me (budget 1500eu)
    5. Preferably head.
    6. Work well with pedals in order to go into metal territory if needed and a good clean channel (channel switching almost essential)

Now i have a few amps in mind that i think might fit the bill.

1. THD Flexi (US made but good Euro price) 20-50W should work awesome with a hotplate for home volumes.
    2. Orange R30 head (pcb mounted stuff???)
    3. Heritage Colonial (non MV???, will it work well at low volumes with a hotplate?)
    4. H&K puretone/duotone (ptp wiring?)
    5. Engl head?
    6. Diezel Einstein head?
    7. Laney GH50L/TT50H

Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. sws1

sws1 Member

Why not a Marshall TSL, or DSL?

3. yannis

yannis Member

It doesnt fullfill #3 .

4. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

DIEZEL.... I have one and it Rocks...the 2nd master is great for leads or just pumping up what you got....great master also

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Rivera Rake or Rake Reverb seems like a great choice, and they are quite affordable used here in the U.S. I know that there are export model Riveras made, but I don't know if you can find a used one for a reasonable price. But if you could, that would be my first choice given your criteria.

6. yannis

yannis Member

It is SUPER difficult for me to find Riveras in the UK. Last time i checked the KR55 had a cost of 2500$ on special order only (head).

I am now considering the following amps.

1. Heritage Colonial
    2. Oranger Rocker 30/50
    3. Laney GH50L or VH100R
    4. THD Flexi 50
    5. H&K Duotone
    6. Some sort of Engl head.

7. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

You are descrebing the Coustom By Cougar Hawk :)
    www.custombycougar.com Made in Sweden, and a great great line of amps:BEER

They are over 1500€ but you might get close to that if you go with ordinary tolex and no fancy woods.

8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

9. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I just walked in the door after playing my first gig with my new Splawn modded Marshall 1987X smallbox plexi. It absolutely ripped, best tone I have had ina quite awhile on the hard rock tunes ... it has KT88 power tubes and sounds f-ing fantastic. Rhythm channel (bluesy grind up to ZZ Top) lead channel (ripping grind from later Zep up through Metalica) and a solo boost with volume control. It was a peasure to bury the band come solo time.

I can't say enough about Splawn's work. The amp has the sweetest yet meanest crunch tones I have ever experienced, and I have owned a bunch of EL34 amps.

But the old man is tired ....time to Z out ...

10. yannis

yannis Member

Well Splawn sounds like a good idea, but not in Europe...

11. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

how about a used marshall? jmp, jcm800, or maybe if you can find a steal on a jubilee like slash uses. hard to beat a marshall for rock, man.

12. yannis

yannis Member

Well i found a JMP50 MkII 2204 combo 2x12, but it is really used and i dont know how well it would behave on low volume

13. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I have an Engl Screamer 50 combo that I purchased when living in Holland. Sounds fantastic at all volumes and can definitely get you into the sonic territory you're describing. It's tremendously versatile with the 4 channel switching capability, bright switch, VLS volume switch and Z-5 footswitch.

The screamer isn't EL34 (it's 6L6) but does come in a head version that I think is within your price range. Give it a try and I think you may reconsider the EL34 requirement.

14. yannis

yannis Member

Hmm, how is the "internal" build quality on those mate? on the engls i mean

15. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Honestly... I'd think Cornford would be a great place to start. The MK50 or the MK50II or the Hellcat would fullfill all your requests, and are definately capable of getting their own version of 60's and 70's rocksound, plus it is a Euro company and they are quite reasonably priced over there for what you get in terms of build quality and tone.

Check the site out for some clips, they aren't representative of all the tones in the amps as they have virtuoso fusion and metal players doing them, but there is a lot of other tones to be had that will nail what you're looking for.

www.cornfordamps.com and also, check out the discussion board for info on the MK50II

16. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Well, I can't really say. I've only seen the internals of it once and that was last December and I really didn't pay much attention to how the pots were mounted. In fact it's currently with an amp tech who is installing a 120Volt transformer for me. I had to order one from Engl in Germany and am still waiting for the part.

Regardless, I think you may be well served to find a shop who has Engls and give one a go. It's one of the best sounding factory manufactured amps that I've heard IMHO. The cleans are very sparkly and 3 dimensional, the crunch channel is my favorite, and the high gain channel is a bit Mesa-like (not for the stuff I play but works really well). It sounds a lot bigger than a single 12" combo, not necessarily regarding volume (which is very loud) but it feels like a bigger cabinet for sure.

17. yannis

yannis Member

I did play with a MK50 Mk1 and it didnt really rock my boat to spend 2800$ on it. The MKII version is at 3600$ which is over budget.

Leon talked me into an Orange ;)