1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Amp suggestions for clean/Knopfler-esque tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sundance, Jan 2, 2008.

1. sundance

sundance Member

Hey y'all--hope this is the right area for this question. I need to get my tone right.

I play rhythm in an original band with a pretty classic/old school type line-up: two guitars, keys, bass, drums & perc. I like a fairly clean, "watery" tone that cuts through the band's midrange and lets the rhythm subtleties come through...think Mark Knopfler, maybe Bob Weir. I just picked up a Hamer Studio Custom, and now need to work on the amp.

I usually play through a Fender Twin or similar (Peavey Classic 50, etc) with 12" speakers, with a little slap back delay and a touch of distortion. But my tone is really limpid most of the time, certainly compared to my lead guitarist (a true gear head and major poster on these forums.)

I don't have the cash for the serious boutique amps, but sure would love to hear any suggestions that could help focus my amp shopping efforts. I was told a Super Reverb might do the trick, but would that be much different from a Twin? Any thoughts appreciated...Kate

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Different speakers for the Twin might be the most economical choice. Check out the Eminence site for sound clips, I like the C. Rex myself. Or maybe a Bassman? Or see if you can find a good deal on something like a used Dr. Z Maz.

Good choice on the Hamer, great guitars!

3. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

What don't you like about the Twin? Do you want pedals to be responsible for your overdrive sounds? Do you need channel switching? Humbuckers or single coils?

4. sundance

sundance Member

Thanks for asking: Humbuckers, usually set on neck Pup or neck/bridge combo. I prefer *not* having to use a distortion pedal, but with no pre-amp on this model, and 100 watts of power, I need it currently (I like it clean, but right now it's just TOO clean.)

Bottom line, just not getting enough bite or sustain with my 65 reissue Twin. Might have been the guitar, who knows.

5. pingman

pingman Member

I really like my Hot Rod Deluxe for clean with a little bit of tooth. It works really well for me with a Goldtop or single coils.