Amp switcher: Which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ariel Pozzo, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Ariel Pozzo

Ariel Pozzo Member

I'm gonna get me an amp switcher but I cannot try the two selected options beforehand, so I'd like to hear what owners have to say about the Radial Headbone or Axess Electronics HS2 regarding sonic transparency, reliability, switching noise and switching gap, if any. :)

2. eino aho

eino aho Member

I received my radial switchbone a couple of months ago and am loving it. No switch noise what so ever, very quiet. I honestly cannot tell any tonal differences from stright into the amp or thru the switchbone. Ive used it as a channel switcher for my black cat as well as running my two vintage amps together it sounds great to me. Cant comment on reliability as i ve only had i a short time but it is built very well. The polarity and lift switches work very well and the clean boost circuit is a + in my opinion.

Eino

3. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

This really is a matter of 6 of the one a half dozen of the other.
    I tried the radial and am getting one, and already had gotten the HS2 and dig it.

4. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

What about the Framptone switcher?

5. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

ive got the divided by 13 switchazel......superb !!:dude

checked your site and listened to "schumi" , very nice track it was too . I liked the restraint in what you did, a lot of players just jump headlong into the 32nd note stuff regardless, you let the song develop and made it a tasty piece of music.

you got any other stuff out there to have a listen of ariel ?

jimmy

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Guys, I think we're talking about different things here. Artel is asking about switchers that switch two heads into the same cab....

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

One thing to consider is that the Headbone takes a 15V power supply where I believe the HS2 uses a standard 9V input. Though Radial includes the PS, you might have problems down there from a voltage standpoint.

8. Ariel Pozzo

Ariel Pozzo Member

Correct.
    I don't wanna close the door to suggestions about any other brand/maker other than those two I mentioned, but it must be a head switcher, not an input switcher. :)

9. Ariel Pozzo

Ariel Pozzo Member

I was leaning towards the Radial Headbone since it's readily available at major stores (I'll be in the US for a limited time and traveling from city to city)...how do you think the 15v supply could affect me?

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'm not up on power in Argentina but assuming it's not 120V I'd figure it might be more convenient to go with a Boss-style 9V power supply than have to deal with either finding a 15V power supply or provide the included one with 120V.

11. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Ariel- I have the axxess head switcher......it works incredibly....no clicking or noise on the head switch....nice clean transition! dont know about the other but know these work really well

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I had the Axess Hs2 at one point. I hear the difference with it in line. I didn't like the difference. NOONE else has posted about that that I can recall , so I guess I'm just picky or something. I'm going to try the Headbone as I really really like the Radial gear and have their Switchbone and looper and they're great

ERIC

13. Prs Poor

Prs Poor Member

I have had good luck with both my CAE Amp selector (4 heads) and Sound Sculpture Head Trip (3 heads). Obviously require rack though.

I was interested in the Weber 4head though. Anyone try one?

Bill

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the CAE. I was going to suggest that one :)

15. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I have the "3-amp" model (4 outs, included one permanent for tuner in the first place, but that can be used like the other 3 too if you want)

it's a great unit, just perfect for me
    no noise, and good amount of possible different settings
    and btw I like the "pedal" format

16. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for the Divided by 13 Switchazel-Absolutely quiet, tuner out, you can combine the two amps, and a boost-Watta pedal.....:D

17. ericb

CAREFUL you guys , the original poster is asking about a head switcher.. NOT the switchhazel or framptone.. If he buys those he blows up his amps.!!!!! YOu might want to read the question before giving the answer in this case!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course ED already posted this, but especially because the poster is in another country , I'd hate anyone to read these Framptone and Switchhazel posts and think they're applicable to this thread!

ERIC

18. Ariel Pozzo

Ariel Pozzo Member

Thanks for clearing this up Eric. :)
    I think I'm gonna get the Radial Headbone...it seems it's readily available at most big stores (Musiciansfriend.com carries it) so I can pick one up without ordering first. :)

19. ericb

No problem! Hey if you do get that, please let me /us know what you think , as I tend to love their products, and need a headswitcher too (once the finances come back to me!)

ERIC