Amp switchers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Has anyone tried the Voodoo Lab Amp Swithcer?

I think its time for me to get a better AB Box.

What I'm doing is switching two four input amps using amp number 1 and amp number 2 at the same time for a clean setting and a dirty setting (one channel of each amp set clean and one dirty) using both cleans together and both dirtys together. Both amps are clean at the same time and when switched both are dirty at the same time ( I like these amps together:) ).

Any suggestions most wanted.:)

2. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo Silver Supporting Member

I don't normally say less than positive things about a product. But I do want to say that I've had a Voodoo Labs Amp Switcher and now have a Lehle 1@3 and I prefer the Lehle. I read in previous posts (you might do a search) that in order to have each channel able to have its own volume, the VL has to have some sort of preamp or something (sorry, I'm a little fuzzy about the details...it's been awhile since I read this). Whatever the case, the VL changes the tone. I played through the VL into my Two Rock Ruby and whereas before I loved the tone, when I played through the VL, the tone just wasn't there anymore...it sounded worse. Didn't have the vibe that I dig about the Ruby. Most of my other amps that I played switched through the VL didn't really suffer that much negative tonal effect...but the Ruby did, and it was noticeable. I bought the Lehle and have been very happy playing into all my amps, with no noticeable tonal degradation. Lehle purportedly uses the most direct and high quality passive switching mechanism possible. The quality of the switches and functionality of the Lehle have been great. And the most important thing is that the sound is not affected as far as I can tell. So my point is that the Voodoo Lab does have great possibilities, but there can be some effect on your tone through certain amps (the preamp or whatever effects the tone)....whereas I understand that the simple, high quality, passive switching mechanism of certain amp switchers like the Lehle (and some others, I assume) do not involve a preamp and do not change the tone very much. Hopefully someone else will chime in here. Do a search in the archives...that's where I found out about the difference between the passive switchers and the reamped/preamped or whatever ones.

Best.

Gonzo

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thanx. I did a search and couldnt find anything.

Maybe your refering to the Buffered Inputs on it?

Does Lehle make a 4 way switcher?

I need to switch four channels.

4. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo Silver Supporting Member

Red Planet,
    I found a couple of posts that talk about the issue. The VL and some others go through a solid state amplifier before it hits the input of the guitar amp. With the Lehle and Framptone "...the signal is divided using a very high quality transformer. There are no active components in the path, in fact you can use the switch as a passive splitter with no power required at all. The signal to the amp with these units is closer to just plugging your guitar straight in."

Here are the posts that talk about this:

amp switching delight

which amp switcher?

I think with the Lehle 1@3 there is a 4th input (beyond the normal 3) that you could input an A/B switch and have 4 channels...not sure about that possibility...check the lehle site.

Hope this all helps!

Gonzo

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I tried to order a Framptone or two, evidently they're not shipping for some reason. Hope that changes - I really want to get my hands on one.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hey Doc thanx for the link. That helped alot.

I think I need the VL. I need more outs than the rest have. I'm gonna give it a go. I'll report back and tell how it went.

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

Hey RP, how's the new Mesa??

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Havent made it to the Studio yet. Gotta get down there and do some banging around.

I was real Temted to take home a Lonestar Special
    (in a custom brown and tan color) instead but decided not to do it. I love the Classic but damn that thing is heavey. I hope the new speaker helps. They made a big difference in my 2x12 but the Boogie only has one so it wont be as big a difference.

I should have my control room finished any day now. Got my Father - In - Law working on it. Its good to know people in High Places. :D

9. rastaman

rastaman Member

Did you play the special? If so, how did the EL84's sound? I'm sure they broke up quick but did it sound as thick as the 6L6's?

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

No I havent played the Specal. I'm kinda afraid to if you know what I mean. What with the Price of GAS these days.:D

The main reason I was drooling over it was it is smaller and lighter than the Classic.

I just got back from putting my new speaker in it but havent played the first note yet. :(

Maybe tomorrow.

Hey Rasta do you think I can get Kevin to Test the EL34's I had in the other amp? I hate to throw them away but am affraid of em after the big blowup and all.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The more I study on it the more I like the VL AS.

I read the threads and didnt see any mention of it having Iso Trannys but after looking at the Manual it does.

12. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Hey Red Planet,

I have the VL amp switcher and I found that it works fine, never noticed a change in tone and the switches are smooth and quiet.

Now I use a Tonebone because it fits on my pedal board and I only need a two amp switcher... It is awesome and I love the tuner out option and the boost.

BTW I might be willing to sell the VL cuz I am not using it anymore... Is this what they call 'spam'? :rolleyes:

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cool. How much for it? To me its not spam if the person posting is looking for one. But thats just me.
    I should be able to get a very good deal on a new one locally though so make me an offer I cant refuse. ;)

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

As refering to getting a good deal I'm known around these parts as an Arm twister when it comes to purchasing. Though I'm currently $31,000.00 over Budget on the Latest Project. :rolleyes:

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Ah but whats 30 grand in a half a mil. :D

16. rastaman

rastaman Member

Don't be scared! Dude, it's just money....:p

Sure man, bring 'em on over to Kevin. Maybe he'll do them pretty quick.

17. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I paid $240 a few months ago, and it is still like new. but I don't know what a 'good deal' would be or how much I would be willing to settle for right now. You can go ahead and make me an offer...:)

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Just bit the bullet and got the Framptone amp switcher. Never had much ground loop action, but the passive switches suck tone for running two amps at the same time. Switching if fine, but together neither one sounds as it would straight in. Played a gig recently with two amps, jumpered from one to the other. Amp 2 lost volume noticeably.

Haven't tried to Framptone yet, but am hoping this does the trick.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm pretty sure the Famptone wont do 4 amps.

Bluesmostly thanx but I picked up one today. For way less.

20. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Member

I have the VooDoo Labs Amp selector and I think its worth the price they go for. I like having individual v-level pots to balance levels and also ground lifts. To me it does NOT have too much if an adverse affect on the amps original tone. I can't hear the difference between white fender heavy picks or blue fender heavy picks either :) I use it in the 4x1 mode where I can select either of the four amps at any time or any of the combination if the four amps or all four simultaneously. Its quite and switching is silent.

I use it with 2203-101B-VHT 50 CL-Mesa DC-5