Amp switchers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keninsyr, Jan 27, 2008.

1. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Does anyone run 2 amps together with an AB/Y switcher without having the tone suffer. I have 2 Allen Old Flames and have tried linking the channels and I picked up a Startouch AB/Y switcher which is a quality pedal but there is still a loss in overall tone from both amps. I seem to lose low end and output. I'm usin all Klotz cables so I don't think its line loss. Would love some advise.

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Sounds like you are somehow switching them out of phase.

3. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

I've tried all combinations and while it sound good, there is a signal loss from each amp. Is this inevitable?

4. Steve Dallas

Well, you have a 1M grid leak on each input. Running 2 inputs in parallel halves those to 500K, which will leak a little signal to ground assuming you have not isolated the grounds with your switcher.

I'm not familiar with the switcher you are using, but I don't have this problem with my Lehle Dual.

You need a switcher that either optically isolates the grounds or uses a transformer design to do the same.

If you don't want to buy a more expensive switcher, you can try running a buffer in front of it to make up for the loss.

5. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

What would I use as a buffer?

6. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

An iBanez or Boss pedal has a buffer.

7. Steve Dallas

Or any good boost pedal or OD pedal set clean should work.

I think I a lot of guys like the S Duncan Pickup Booster.

8. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Definitely sounds like a phase issue. There are a few pedals; Tonebone Switchbone, Framptone, Switchazel, Lehle, and maybe others that will have a phase switch to take care of this problem. It opens up a whole new world with the two amps together.

A regular whirlwind or other ABY will not work with this situation. Although, maybe a phase switch on the amp could fix it. I know with 2 channel amps, like the London 65, the phase switchable switch-pedal was a must.

9. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I use a Voodoo Lab amp switcher and can switch between four amps or blend any of the four together. I'm not sure if it has a buffer in it, but it doesnt' seem like I'm losing tone.

10. keninsyr

keninsyr Member

Thanks for the input. I'll probably have to experiment with the Lehle or something equivalent. I don't use any pedals so adding an overdrive or boost wouldn't be what I was looking for. Appreciate the replys.