Amp switching and fx switching

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jjpinpin, Mar 8, 2015.

1. jjpinpin

jjpinpin Member

By the end of this week I will have 3 amps, a mark V 25, a DSL40c and a blues junior. I don't gig, just play at home and would like to only have one pedal board. I don't want to have to buy two or three sets of time based effects in order to accomplish having delay/reverb in the loop of the mesa and marshall but also have delay and reverb going into the front end of the blues junior.

I only want to play one amp at a time, and I am wondering if any of the switching systems essentially let you move fx in and out of a loop, i.e. could my carbon copy be on my board and used in the loop in the mesa or marshall and then in a different patch be used in front of the blues junior?

Also to take it a step further, what are people using for switching between amps as well.

If this has been discussed before I apologize, I was looking online and came across many switching systems including the one control crocodile that looked cool but I can't really gather whether it can do what I need it to. And honestly I'm not sure if I'm even asking the right questions, I would love to be able to switch between three amps basically at my pedal board (or with an amp switcher that isn't on my board) without having to move cables around every time, the fx loop especially is a pain.

Thanks

2. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

Recommend you talk to Nepo, he is a member on this board that does custom pedalboard interfaces amongst other things.

He recently built me an interface that has a guitar input, amp output, FX send, and FX return jacks, in addition to two footswitches for a TRS amp controller.

Although the FX Send and Return jacks are hooked up to my delay and reverb pedals to run in a loop, Nepo built it so if I ever use a backline with an amp that doesn't have an FX loop, I just plug my amp input into the FX Return jack of the interface and the "normal" loop FX pedals are automatically routed to the front end of the amp, no rewiring needed.

3. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Using an effects loop I'm not so sure, because it's not a matter of just splitting, you also need the amps to then return to the pedal board and keep all the amps isolated fr each other which would make it very difficult. The easiest option really is to have multiple delays and an amp switcher (probably the cheapest option too as complex switching usually means some kind of midi setup) but I'm also curious as to whether someone else has done this.

4. Flash6969

Flash6969 Member

Check out the Ampette 444 amp switcher

5. jjpinpin

jjpinpin Member

Flash6969 that looks perfect, thanks!

6. logdrum

logdrum Member

TC G-System. It has outputs for 2 amps. If you hard pan the effects to left or right then you can route the that way. It will channel switch the amps for you. You can use your own effects up to 4 of them and it can efx loop them or put it in front just after the guitar signal. It also has very nice TC effects but if you don't like TC effects or need more than 4 of your own effects then it may not be for you.

Expensive but it may be worth a research. The TC forums can probably help