amp tech in minneapolis

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by zenmh, Sep 1, 2005.

1. zenmh

zenmh Member

anyone know one or know of a resource to find someone in my town?

btw, its for my gdoagadg agd****asvadshit reverend hellhound that rattles like a bitch if anyone wants to give me ideas on how to stop it. Seems like its coming from the power tubes but i could be way off. Also it seems like the vibrations are the worst around C on the low E string is that normal for different pitches to effect the amps shake differently?

Also how about mpls guitar techs, i need my guitar setup.

2. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Which end of town are you located? If you're south, you might want to give the guys at Savage Audio a call. On the north side, stop into DC Music USA in Blaine near Northtown and ask for Tim Obrien.

http://www.savageaudio.com

http://www.dcmusicusa.com

For your guitar, check Leonard Shapiro (aka Moses Oakland). I used to have his number here but I can't locate it right now. He's in the book. Located on University Ave in the Midway. Great work and pretty speedy. Another great tech is Mr. Mark's in Anoka. He's got a longer turnaround time, but does great work.

3. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

FYI i have been F'ed in the A multiple times by savage audio, never again! another local forumite has also had similar problems with savage. just my $.02

is that moses guy the dude with the zz top beard, that use to run the blues jam at the blues saloon? (great guitarist)

hoffman guitars are supposed to be pretty good with setups, they're over by the cabooze.

as for techs, "the good guys" on grand and lexington are good. I also build amps but just for fun, not professionally.

good luck!!!!

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Oh yeah, I've ehard of The Good Guys too, forgot about them. They were highly recommended by a guitar buddy of mine.

Yup, I think the guy you're talking about is Moses Oakland. He's cool! Has a reapir shop on University in the Midway. He hosts the Sunday night blues jams at Famous Daves on Hennepin now.

5. Azon

Azon Member

I've known the Savage guys since it was a shop in Jeff's basement. Never once had a problem there. They aren't cheap, but they do good work. Ask for Jeff, he's the man to talk to.

Az

6. ToneChimera

ToneChimera Member

7. pepperco

pepperco Member

Could you please be more specific about what happened with
    your repair issue? What kind of amps? FWIW I did have
    to return a repair to Savage once, and it was fixed properly
    without extra charge. I just know they are really busy, and sometimes I think Savage may work too quick on the repairs.

But, I do not know of anyone else in the Twin Cities who
    I can count on to fix vintage amps properly, without getting
    bull-sh**ed. I just get so tired of a-hole tech trying to rip
    me off. I used to trust "Quint" over at The Good Guys,
    whatever happened to him ? Anyone know?

8. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i had an all original and perfect condition tweed champ that i brought in for a buzzing speaker which turned out to be a bug trapped between the speaker and the grille cloth, they found the problem right away and after that they ended up changing the cord to 3 prong and changed the caps without my authorization and charged me for it, i was kinda pissed that they did the work in the first place.

another time i brought a trace acoustic amp in for warrenty repairs (it kept poping fuses), in the end they made up some bs story that was not even true(they said i did not tell them it was warrenty work) which i did, so they said they had to charge me for the work which was over $200 guess what, the amp was never fixed, it kept popping fuses.

F#%@ those guys.

9. 6789

6789 Member

call the guys at www.solidbodyguitar.com I bet they would know where to go if they can't do the work themselves.