Amp tech in South Jersey/Philly area?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by midnight-to-six, Feb 12, 2006.

1. midnight-to-six

midnight-to-six Member

Hey. . . just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a qualified tech in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area. I've got a mid-60's Reverberocket that needs a bit of help, and my 93 AC30 is probably due for a cap job/check up at this point. Much thanks in advance for your help!

2. amper

amper Member

Danny's Amp Service in Pennsauken.

3. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

Jim Walton in the Northeast, off of Cottman Blvd.
    His number is (215) 342-7327
    Great guy, great service, extremely honest and affordable.

Wheels

4. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

We've got a great one right here on the Gear Page (BruceM)......Bruce Marcolina.

abm690@comcast.net

215 248 1026

Also a super nice guy, knowledgable, honest and fair......HIGHLY recommended!

-jim

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

6. jdps150

jdps150 Member

The guy @ The Music Place in Berlin NJ

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Billy Penn (www.pennalizer.com) is somewhere down on the Jersey shore. His amps are great, and he personally and technically comes very highly recommended to me through a pro I trust.

8. midnight-to-six

midnight-to-six Member

Thanks guys! Looks like there are quite a few options available. . .

9. scottl

scottl Member

Don't use Danny's. They are total hacks with no idea. First hand experience.....

Rick Emery is the tech at the Music Place fwiw..... Nice guy.

Scott

10. amper

amper Member

I've had gear repaired at Danny's several times over the last decade and a half with never a problem. They are factory certified by many companies. Care to elaborate on your bad experience?

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

+100 for Bill Walton great guy great tech.

12. scottl

scottl Member

I had an Acoustic G100T in the 80s that had issues. It wound up at Danny's on numerous occasions. Not only did it never get fixed properly, he kept changing the tubes to the cheapest **** Chinese tubes (labeled with his logo of course). It did not keep requiring new tubes. Back then, there were good tubes available for less than hge was charging for that crap. I am talking about those awful coke bootle looking 6L6 tubes.

He did this with a Twin I had as well. Maybe he can diagnose a problem per schematic, but he has no vision.

A couple of years ago, I called asking about reconing an EVM. He asked what amp I play. I said a Fuchs, similar to a Dumble. He had never even heard of a Dumble!!

How can a guy fix guitar amps when he is not a plyer, has no ear for tone, and rips people off by selling junk tubes?

My advice is to use an amp tech who is a player with an ear. Not some guy who strictly follows some companies schematic.

13. jdps150

jdps150 Member

Yeah, that's him. Couldn't think of his name.

14. ginelleamps

ginelleamps Member

Rick Emery is no longer at the music place, or affiliated with the music place in any way. Rick can be reached at Rick Emery's Mainline Music 18 Ardmore Avenue Ardmore, Pa 19003 610-592-8099 or 856-625-3493

15. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

another vote for jimmy. he does reasonably priced, immaculate work with quick turnaround times.

16. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Just took my Silvertone to Rick to fix up some of my "restoration". He's a great tech and a good guy too. He even spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me a couple days after the fact to go over some "mods" I had in mind that I would be doing myself.

Can't recommend him strongly enough. Go see Rick Emery. Oh, and he builds amps too.

17. scottl

scottl Member

Where in the Hill? We should compare the Silvertone to the Evil Robot I have here. It will be fun.

18. Chukster

Chukster Member

Jim Walton and Bruce are the best in the area - good guys as well.

19. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

Check out Jon Mernyk at Mill Creek Audio. His contact info is also on the Ceriatone site under tech centers.

20. Stabbing Kittens

Stabbing Kittens Member

I'm resurrecting an old thread because some of the older posts are applicable.

I think I have a blown output transformer on my Mesa Express 5:50 and I'm looking for someone smarter than me to confirm and likely replace.

Danny's used to be a reputable and reliable repair shop, but Danny's son took over after Danny passed away and the quality of their work took a serious dive. I brought this amp to Rick while he was at The Music Place, but now he's in Ardmore (which is 45 minutes and a bridge crossing away).

My luthier (Mike Virok @ Bordentown Guitar Rescue) only does simple amp repair - biasing, etc. So does anyone have new suggestions/recommendations for S. Jersey/Philly or should I accept defeat and plan a trip to Ardmore? Thanks in advance.