Amp tech in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Symphosomatic, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Symphosomatic

Symphosomatic Member

Hello Torontonians,

I'm having some issues with my Bad Cat and need a tech to lool at it.

Anyone have any guidance as to who's good with high end amps in the city?

All the best,

Adam

2. iggs

iggs Member

Talk to Tim at Song Bird Music.

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Talk to Martin Newell. He is fast, inexpensive, and knows what he's doing. I posed this very question on this board a few months ago. A lot of people recommened Martin and so I gave him a call. I've not been disappointed. His # is 905-472-6394. The only down side is that he is in the suberbs, so you'll need a car.

4. tdu

tdu Member

Hey, where in the burbs is he? That is good news for me because I am North of Toronto and looking for a tech without having to drive into Toronto.

5. Symphosomatic

Symphosomatic Member

Thanks guys. I thought I searched in the archives before I posted but I guess I did something wrong. I just called Martin and I'm taking my amp in on Friday.

He's in Markham.

All the best,

Adam

6. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

+1 on Tim. There an amp tech upstairs from Capsule Music as few blocks west. He is know for his bootek 18 watters.

Capsule also sells Bad Cats.

7. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The amptech upstairs at capsule is Martin Newall.Better to give him a call and avoid the high price tag for the repairs.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

capsule dont sell Bad cats... Ive never seen one there, unless theyve just become dealers recentley. All I ever see are old fenders, vox, some hiwatt and some orange. Thats about it. If they do indeed sell bad cat, which ones do they have in stock?

9. tdu

tdu Member

Anyone know any techs in the Brampton area by any chance?

10. cheesey

cheesey Member

chris patterson , impact audio mississauga , services BNL's , April Wine , he's the man!

11. Swirl

Swirl Member

+1 for Martin. All the work he's ever done for me has been great.

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yup, Martin Newall's a great tech, fine builder, and an incredible guitarist.
    Huge +1.
    You can reach him by email at nmart6@aol.com

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm gonna have to give this Martin guy a call tonight. My beloved Swart AST is sick... I keep hearing his popping sound, and there's this wierd sound it's making in the speaker area. It sounds like there's these deep vibrations at times. Also I'm not sure, but, I think I blew two tubes, and the transformer or something. :(

14. Griz

Griz Member

Peter Medvic used to maintain Blue Rodeo's AC30's. He's a great guy and an excellent tech. You may be able to reach him through The Twelfth Fret guitar shop on Danforth.

Best of luck.

:D

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

since when?
    i haven't been there since right before christmas, but antonio teixeira (maker of amazing 18 watt watkins dominator and JTM45 combo clones) is the guy i know there. has this changed in the past month?

16. 56_Special

56_Special Member

No, nothing has changed. Tony is still the tech at Capsul. He makes great amps and is an excellent luthier as well. Good people. Martin Newell works from home. He is the masta!

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm dropping my amp of at Martins house tomorrow around lunch! Really nice guy! Said it wouldn't take too long, he even said that he'd let me borrow an amp in the meen-time since I said the Swarts my only amp at the moment. I can't wait to meet him! Hopefully this will be the begining of a great guitar player-tech relationship! :)

18. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Wait till you hear him play!
    Say 'hi' from Wayne.

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

will do ;)... I wonder what type of amp he would recommend for me???... I'll just have to ask tomorrow :)

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Well, I went to see him this morning! REALLY nice guy, and I chatted with him for an hour, and he told me to go already cause' he felt bad that my mom was wating in the car (I told her I'd be 10 minutes the most...), and we talked about all sorts of stuff and he was quite impressed with my "knowledge" of amplifiers, and though the Swart was cool. He was in a rush though to get to Capsule... I told him "hi" from Wayne, and he was like "Wayne Eagles???" and I was like "yea!" and he was like "how do you know Wayne?" and I was like "through the gear page" and he was like "oh" and I was like "yea"... I also told him that you (Wayne recommended him to me cause' I didn't know who else to say). Showed me some of his amps that he was working on at this time, he's got a nice JTM45 clone he's working on now, and this REALLY cool little VOX AC-30 style amp that's only 15 watts... I think I might just buy one from him in the future. I talked to him about Hiwatts/Reeves/Harry Joyce and he said that it would be a pretty good amp for me based on what I told him of my "style". I also got into Komet amps, and asked if he heard of Kens passing, and he didn't, so he was really shocked and surprised to hear that, and then I felt bad cause' it's like I was the bearer of bad news :( Oh well. He told me it'll be a few days and wanted to lend me an amp but, didn't have anything finished at the time and felt bad. It's ok though. Once again, really nice guy, and I can tell that I'm gonna' get along with him great, and stick with him for years! Thanks to all those of you that recommended him (to the original poster of the thread). Cheers.

Marko M.

P.S. You guys should REALLY check out the AC-30 style amp whenever you're at his place. amazing. Oh one more thing, he was doing some work on this REALLY cool old Orange from either late 60's or early 70's, I think it was an OR120, but, it was one of the Original Matamp/Orange Oranges. Wicked.

rwe333 likes this.