Amp Tech near Chicago? For SF Fenders

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Chris Rice, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I have a pair of amps that need some help; '72 Deluxe Reverb and '72 Vibrosonic Reverb. Who's the best? I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, about 20 miles out of the city.

The Deluxe has a volume drop on the Vibrato channel, and could use a checkup (it had new filter caps when I bought it, I added a three-prong cord). The Vibrosonic had the reverb die (I resoldered a broken lead inside the tank when I bought the amp, it may have broken again), has had some minor mods done that I would like undone, put a variable negative feedback in the master volume hole, and get the noisefloor/crackling to go down/away. It also has newish filter caps, as well as a bunch of changed caps and resistors. Also, the tremolo is intermittent.

So who should I contact? Who do you like? I'd rather avoid shipping at this point, but may consider it.

Thanks!

2. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Minstrel Music on Milwaukee Ave. a block north of Oakton in Niles. They do great work and are reasonable. Over the years they've worked on my vintage Fenders, both tweeds and black face, and they just did a great tune-up on my Demeter power amp. Small shop, but they know their stuff.
    FWIW,
    Rick

3. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Thanks Rick. I was just near there last Monday, my girlfriend is attending nuclear medicine seminars right in that neighborhood.

I've heard nothing but good about them and the website looks good. Any idea on how the turnaround time is?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Turnaround usually depends on workload. I doubt anyone could answer that besides the tech himslef.

Doesn't Mark at Victoria Amps do amp tech work as well?

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

If you don't mind coming into the city, I highly recommend Tim Schroeder at Schroeder Guitar Repair. He does really great work on both guitars and amps. Plus, he's located right next to Make'n Music, so you can double up your trip!

http://www.schroederguitarrepair.com/front.html

6. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I understand about workload, I was just wondering what the times were for people who brought in amps before.

I think Victoria does repairs.

That might be worth looking into as well, thanks!

7. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I've had great luck with Electronic Express in St. Charles, IL. While it was a PA that he worked on for me(& came in UNDER his estimate, on price AND time!), I have a friend who recommended them to me who has been using them for years on all his Marshalls. He has a bunch of marshalls too!
    Good Luck!
    Tony

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Go to Minstral Music. Talk to John Sizos, the guy is a walking encyclopedia of amp know how. Probably the best guy in Chicago.

9. Meghan

Meghan Member

Dave Salzman at Auralux in Highland Park did a great job on the electronics on my Fender 30 amp restoration... Some pics at: http://www.fenderforum.com/guestbook.html?user_name=Meghan

He's at: 847-432-7000

I'd also vote for Tim Schroeder. His work is outstanding...

Best of luck, Meghan

10. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Reis Amplification / Ronnie's House of Rock. Elmhurst area. Email: reisrn6@aol.com

Best amp tech I've ever used, bar none. VERY reasonable prices, too.

11. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Just as an example, I took my Demeter Power Amp (14 years old) in this Spring. John said it would be two to three weeks. I had it back in ten days. Nice surprise and it never sounded better.
    FWIW,
    Rick

12. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Sounds good. I'm not in any particular hurry, so I suppose it doesn't matter. I have other amps that I'm using.

13. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

Hey Chris,

I don't know if this is even remotely close, but one of our own members, Wakarusa, is a great amp tech...especially with Fenders.
    And he's a nice guy to boot.

He's in Wakarusa, IN 46573.

Wheels