Amp That Is Tight And Unforgiving

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SvenHock, Oct 13, 2008.

1. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

I'm currently pretty satisfied with my Bogner 101B for the classic rock project I'm in but am now looking to supplement my amp herd with and amp that has a fair amount of gain but not at the expense of compression and sag city. Prefer an amp that retains its bottom end. Is there such a beast? How is the VHT SigX or Ultralead? Am I heading in the right direction?

2. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

You pretty much just described the VHT ultralead.

3. tybone

tybone Member

My Two Rock Opal is tighter than the seals on new q lar sub and has more bottom end than I need. It is also very unforgiving in terms of it's direct and immediate translation of what ever you do into sound. Quite a bit of gain too.

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the VHT Ultra, but another forgotten gem is a late 80's to early 90's Mesa MKIII Green stripe 100 non-simulclass. Extremely tight and more classic rock to hard rock voicing.

5. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

6. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Member

The VHT Ultralead has gain for days, combined with it being stupidly tight and unforgiving. Play well, and it'll sound awesome, play sloppy, and you'll know about it. It's an awesome amp, and as tight as a Diezel VH4. ALso really does ahve a lovely snarly 3D midrange.

Really, if you want a tight as hell amp, with gain for days that does not sound compressed, but sounds open and organic with a nice dose of snarl and midrange, then I'd get that.

I got mine, A/B'd it with a VH4, and lost all desire to own a VH4.

and yep, very very true :)

7. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............sounds like the UL is right up my alley. Graphic or no graphic? Anyone know where I can pick a used one up at?

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

One choice that matches your description is the Splawn Quickrod.

9. digital jams

digital jams Member

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Your description sounds like just about any of Bob Reinhardt's amps!

11. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Member

Some people prefer the non-graphic version, but to be honest I love the graphic EQ too much and I think the difference is probably minimal to be honest.

The EQ just gives me the option of having, effectively, extra channels in a way as you can reshape the tone, but, i find that i have the graphic on with a slight midhump, and an ever so slight boost for the low frequencies.

I'd personally go for a version with EQ, and hook it up to an RJM amp gizmo so that you have full midi control of the amp :D

Plus, they look very very cool :D

[​IMG]

12. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

13. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Ok, will this thing do more than metal? I love metal but I also like all types of guitar driven rock. One more thing, will the UL do any type of clean? I will need an amp that does both crunch and clean.

14. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Sven, you have pretty much described the Ultra Lead...with the EQ option it's a real tone monster.

I don't know how the cleans compare to the Sig:X but the Sig really shines in that area. If Ed Genaro is using it to play Country, that says a lot. I can't think of another high gain channel switcher that's being used in that application.

I have heard from those who should know that the Sig is not quite as tight (or more forgiving if you prefer) as the UL.

One poster on the VHT forum said that he didn't like that the Sig was more forgiving than the UL because in his words, "When people see you playing a VHT they know you have to have killer chops." The logic of this mindset escapes me, but it points to a difference between the two amps.

Don't get me wrong, the Sig:X is plenty tight and the bottom end is rock solid...moreso than any other amp I've played. It's just that with the amount of control that you have over the tone, that you have the option to loosen it up more than the UL.

If you can, I'd audition both to see which you prefer.

15. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Thanks a bunch strat this is very helpful info. Does anyone here know if there is a dealer in Md around the Baltimore/D.C. area or is there anyone in the Delaware/Eastern Shore area that owns either one of these amps that I could try?

16. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Stiff? Tight? unforgiving?? Splawn,VHT and even more unforgiving..Framus Cobra

17. TX6Strings

TX6Strings Member

+1 on the Splawn recommendations. QR or Nitro...but are unforgiving tight beasts!

18. photios

photios Member

havent seen ENGL mentioned in this thread...gotta tell ya that if you want un-forgiving, ENGL is IT.

19. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

VHT UL w/ EQ. I had one and it ruled for that style. Clean is ok too. Good Luck finding a used one, pretty hard to do and then they are usually $1800.

20. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Member

Yep, clean is nice, and there's high/low gain switches on each of the rythm and lead channels, it'll do clean to crunch to overdrive to low growly gain to high gain to more gain than you'll need. The clean channel is very very nice, it's very dynamic as well. No reverb on the amp, but to be honest, most people use pedals...

The other REALLY nice thing is that you can choose for the FX loop to be series OR parrallel. Switchable stuff like that is just the icing on the cake.

As to whether it can do rock, a resounding yes.

I also bought my ultralead blind, as I couldn't try one unless I took a 5 hour drive up north, basically just went off recommendation, and it was actually as good as all the hype.