Amp that sounds like Fulltone OCD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

Right now I use a Mesa F-50 amp head and only use the clean channel and a Fulltone OCD pedal. The overdrive has been working great for my cover band. Is there a two channel amp available that has a good clean channel and an overdrive that sounds similar to this pedal? Thanks in advance!!!

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I think the F-50's distortion is much better than any pedal.
    The OCD has too sides anyway. The Brit side is very Marshall.

3. TimH

TimH Member

Umm this seems like a crazy question...why not simply use any clean amp with the OCD...there is no inherent value to an amp with a gain channel like this...you still need a footswitch and extra cable... DON"T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE!

4. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

I agree. I run my Clubman, Route 66, and AC15 Heritage clean/semi dirty and use the OCD for distortion.

5. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

The lower watt Marshall handwired models sound like the OCD... actually, the OCD sounds like them.. ;)

6. mims2

mims2 Member

Well I play a wide variety of covers. Personally I love the sound of the Mesa's overdrive, which is really loose and thick, but it doesn't seem to work well with most of the songs that we do, which are pop rock. Maybe it is best to stick with this rig tho since it's workin for me now...

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I can't say that my JCM800 sounds like an OCD, but I will tell you that the OCD through my JCM800 is awesome tone.

8. guitarsam

guitarsam Member

My hot cat 50 sounds very similar to my OCD. I don't use them together because their tones are so similar. The clean channel is beautiful as well. Check it out. It's a great amp.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Yep. Either as a boost to the high input or as a main dirt tone in the low input...very fat.

10. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I sold my OCD. I use a Mesa/Boogie 5:50 most of the time and the amp's lead channel sounded better than the OCD. The OCD was capable of more gain than the amp, but it was more than I needed.

11. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Someone here recently posted a Badger clip ... when I heard it the first thing I thought was that it sounded like an OCD.

12. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I think as others have said that the ocd sounds Marshally. It has the midrange that makes it sound like a Marshall.

13. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

For Mesa Boogie players you can't beat Mesa's modern distortion. Totally slays any pedal. But adding an OCD or a Crunchbox (better pedal & has more gain) to a Mesa will give you a whole range of Marshall flavours a Mesa can't deliver. So a Mesa paired with an OCD or Crunchbox is a great combo if you want a versatile range of distortion flavours :cool:

14. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

You're absolutely correct.
    The problem that I had with my OCD is that my Tonepad based Rat clone that I built with the Ruetz mod kicked it's butt! That pedal is a Marshall in a box! I sometimes use it with my 5:50 for a triple threat- great cleans from the amp, Boogie overdrive from the amp and Marshal over drive from the modified Rat clone.

15. mims2

mims2 Member

We played a show at a club last week and everyone I asked that plays guitar said that the songs I used the OCD on sounded great and the Mesa overdrive sounded muddy. Maybe I need to work the EQ some more on the Mesa overdrive...

16. takakat

takakat Member

I just bought an used OCD v4 two days ago and tried it on my 74 Twin Reverb and 81 Mesa MKIIB and I find it sounded much better on Mesa. I play relatively low volume so I rather use pedal to overdrive amp and I added compressor before OCD and a little delay after OCD to MB MKIIB and sounded so good I kept playing for an hour without cigarette. I am a chain smoker and it is very rare occasion that I forget about smoking a cigarette. Adding a compressor really made it sound nice and thick tone much like Dumble amp. Forget about finding a new amp and just play through OCD and spend money for other pedals such as good eq and delay.

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

good solution Don.
    I actually prefer the Crunchbox to the OCD myself. Has more gain and is closer to a JCM800 & 900 to my ears. But OCD is excellent too.

18. jchan

jchan Member

Try playing the Mesa without as much gain. High gain has lots of compression and has no dynamic range. It sounds like a chainsaw. Its fun to play alone, you can't hear any mistakes but it doesn't cut in a band mix. Back off the gain, add midrange and your MESA will work in the mix. Use your guitar volume knob also to vary the level of gain. Remember, less gain = more clarity.

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)