Amp to go with a Pod XT Live

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sizzlemann, Oct 25, 2008.

1. sizzlemann

sizzlemann Member

Hi

I'm using a Pod XT Live with a Roland JC-120 and the drummer says he can't hear me. (figures) If I turn the JC-120 up too much it starts to break up on some of the metal patches and loses the tone all together.
    I'd like to get a little, cheap amp (300 bucks or less), maybe a 1 X 12 30 watts or so, that I could put behind him. Getting another JC-120 is out of the budget right now.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

A friend has an XTL. I really like a few of the patches he uses. He plays through a Silver Face Master Volume Twin Reverb. So maybe a smaller, neutral sounding amp like a Blues Jr. would work for around $300.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  3. Peeb

Peeb Member

Heard good things about the Tech21 Power Engine 60 for about that money. No coloration which is PERFECT for the podxt.

4. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

The PE60 is fine. You also might consider trying a used Atomic Amp:
    http://www.atomicamps.com/

or the Atomic Reactor FR (some pics in this thread):
    http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1466&start=0
    (this may not be available yet and I think they're intended to be mated with the Axe-FX)

To spread the sound (before you buy a new amp), you might strongly consider miking your 120 and running through the board so your drummer gets some monitor air.

5. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I've always used my POd's (2.0 and XTL) with an old, discontinued Fender Stage 112SE. It's a 100w ss amp with a really nice clean channel. However, I've always run the POD's through the Power Amp In jack (bypasses the preamp section of the amp). Not as ideal as going straight to the board, but better than trying to EQ the amp and the POD.

I've never used the Tech 21 PE60 or the Atomic Amp, but I think they would work better than a traditional amp (especially if you can't go direct to the soundboard). One other solution would be to try a keyboard amp. I forget the technical reasons, but some users like the tone from modelers better with keyboard amps (wider frequency response?).

Hope this helps.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Why not look at what the Axe guys are using? Many powered monitors from what I see, some tube power amps.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I'd look at the Atomic Reactors or simply a powered speaker though a good one is quite a bit above your price limit.

8. heretic

heretic Member

Is your JC-120 an older model without an FX loop? I use my X3Live in church thru a JC-120, plugged into the loop return with the switch set to -20dB, and it is blow-your-head-off loud. Actually, I find the JC-120 to be one of the best solutions for amplifying a POD...

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I've got an Atomic Reactor 112-50 I'm selling...send me a PM if you're interested.

10. sizzlemann

sizzlemann Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    heretic, I agree that the JC is a great amp for all PODs and I do have an older model. 1981 to be exact. So I don't have the FX loop. I might just have to bite the bullet and get another JC-120 to run stereo.