amp to pair with vibroverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coolhand78, Apr 7, 2008.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I'm looking for an amp to run in conjunction with my vibroverb...? Trying to fatten it up a bit... I'm thinking something along the lines of a twin or a super reverb or even a plexi?

what are peoples thoughts on this?

cheers

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

3. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

Stevie Ray initially used a Super Reverb. Any second amp (even another of the same make and model) will fatten up the sound. I hear Eric Johnson is currently running a pair of Twin Reverbs for one of his sounds; he used to use a pair of Deluxe Reverbs.

But to answer your original question, I would recommend a Pro Reverb. They sound great on their own, and they are warmer than a Twin. If weight is an issue, go with a Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb as excellent choices.

4. RomanS

RomanS Member

My old guitar teacher, who plays in various rockabilly & country bands, uses a brown Vibroverb RI as his main amp, and uses a Fender Pro Jr. as his second amp, which he adds with a switch when he needs a bit more dirt & fat...

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Vibro King! I think you'll like it and they'd look good toegther.
    Check it out with a 2x12 extention cabinet in addition to the amps 3 10's when you do.

6. Mudder

Mudder Member

DrZ Rt66.

I'll admit this isn't an altogether altruistic recommendation since I'm selling one, but it would be a sweet pairing.

7. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I always felt vox amps paired beautifully with fenders.

And AC30 and a vibroverb would sound great.

8. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

I've been running these two together for quiet awhile now & feel they compliment each other perfectly!:AOK
    68 DR (Drip Edge) top

[​IMG]

9. coolhand78

how are people running these amps together? a/b box, launch pad, "jumpered"??? do u run all pedals thru both at the same time or have different signal paths for the amps?

sharkey, how does the vverb and twin sound together? with the vverb slighty gritty and the twin clean?

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I like the AC30 suggestion... depending on what you're looking for.

I think it would do a very good job of filling out the midrange and adding a bit of aggressiveness to the fender mid-scoop.

11. Peppy

Peppy Member

AC30. I used to have the same Vibroberb model...you need to get out of the Fender realm for a true complement IMO.

12. coolhand78

i thought there'd be more plexi and or two rock dumble type suggestions...

13. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

sharkey, how does the vverb and twin sound together? with the vverb slighty gritty and the twin clean?[/quote]

Sounds like BACKACHE to me :roll:roll:roll and I haven't tryed that for this very reason!:D

I use an Lehle A/B/Y pedal to control things:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure the other suggestions mentioned here would sound great also but I'm quiet fond of the DR / VV setup with the JBL's speakers in both. It's funny; I've been through a lot of really nice amps over the years and wound up right back where I started. Leo had what I was looking for all along...:jo

I've used my Goodsell Super 17 along side the VV with great results & if I had a Black Face Super my back would constantly ache!!!:D

14. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

It's not a Vibroverb exactly, but my main gigging machine is a 1x15 Carr Rambler. Pretty similar to the VV in form & function.

For bigger gigs I'll run an old Ampeg VT40 (4x10) with it. Obviously running the two rigs together sounds "fatter," but I've also found that the 4x10's in the VT40 are a great complement, sonically, to the 15" in the Rambler. The VT40 is heavy as a mofo, though, be warned.

15. bynt

bynt Member

I'm not even being a smart allec, you could put damn near anything along with it and it will sound good. You don't have to use a Twin unless you really like hefting the weight. The other day I had a solid state peavey and a solid state fender in stereo in my lesson room at work and it sounded awesome.

Look at your budget and see what you're trying to do, would be my advice. I like to have different things when running amps in stero:

sometimes a good clean amp and a dirty one,

sometimes (lately) two good dirty amps, one set up so that I use a pedal for dirt and then can hit a boost pedal for leads (Zinky and Tiny Terror) and then sometimes just two good sounding clean amps. Really, it's hard to go wrong.

16. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to trying my '67 Vibrolux Reverb w/ my Goodsell Super 17 1x 12 in series this saturday night. it's a sold out show in a 450 seater... should be fun! :RoCkIn though, I'm not looking forward to the shlep! :warning:jo:warning

17. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Two great amps; I bet you'll love it. Good luck with ya gig!:AOK

18. coolhand78

what about extension cabs, would it be worth trying a 4x12 cab with my vibroverb? I think ej used to hook his twins to a 4x12 cab sometimes?

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

A Rivera Sub 1 will fatten it up substantially without altering the basic tone...it will make your combo sound like a half stack.

[​IMG]

Description: 300 watts RMS powered sub-woofer, 1-12" JBL driver, built into a compact enclosure, similar in size to most Rivera 1-12” extension cabinets. Utilizing a extremely efficient power amp circuit with built in electronic crossovers, the patented Los Lobottom ™ SUB 1 can be added to any guitar amp system that has either an effects loop, or an external speaker jack output.

If used with an amplifier that has an effects loop, the SUB 1 built in effects loop facilities allow seamless effects patching, while providing controls for high-pass filtering for the host guitar amp. Additional features include Low Level Input (for connection to effects loop send jacks of host amp), Low Level Output (for connection to effects loop return of host amp), Phase switch (for phase matching between host amp and SUB 1), SUB 1 Level Control, Peak Level Indicator, High Pass Filter switch, High Level Input (for connection of the SUB 1 to host guitar amp systems not equipped with effects loops, like vintage amps), and Mains Power switch.

20. coolhand78

resurrection bump :)

so far we have

Vibroking
    JTM45
    AC30
    Deluxe reverb

any other suggestions...?

what about the vibroking extension cab with the vibroverb?