Amp Tone Changes During a Gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fifthstone, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

played a four hour gig last night with my Reeves Custom 12. We mic everything so the amp was at about noon to start for clean. Through the first set and most of the second, the tone was as I had set it ... clean with the slightest bit of hair. By the third set, there was noticeably more drive and grind to the tone. It sounded good, but I had to dial back on my Strat volume knob a touch to clean it up a bit. Good news was I could roll back up and get mild crunch tones and just flip on the OCD for leads.

Question is do others hear experience the same type of change in tone throughout the course of a night's playing? Is it the tubes heating up to a certain point?

2. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

had it happened to me last night. i was playing in a room alittle smaller then a gym. didnt feel like taking the big daddy amps so i just grabbed the vintage champ. set everything up sounded plenty loud in practice and nice in sound. its our time to go up, start playing and bam! what happend to my sound??? well im kinda used to it. it happeneds alot playing at church. i think it has to do with bodies taking up space in the room and changin projection of sound. i also notice that in practice my setup can sound too bright sometimes, but when we start playing it sounds a little dark. i dont know. i just say "its all good" and go with the flow

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I've noticed that myself. Usually I like the tone better before it starts changing. Occasionally, I have also noticed an increase in volume without changing anything on the amp or guitar.

4. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

There was a discussion a while back on this topic, with some people saying they've noticed it, while others said it was just your brain's perception of the sound changing.

I have noticed that some amps tend to sound fuller and meaner after an hour or so of playing. I've always guessed it was due to the components, especially the output transformer, heating up.

5. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

It absolutely happens. I don't know why. My Genz Benz gets noticeably more overdrive after a couple hours of being on. If I need a more pristine clean sound, I'll have to lower the volume and raise the master a bit.

I've also noticed on my Lee Jackson XLS1000 that after being on about an hour the tone kills. It is good before that but after some time the tone is even better!

I've not noticed this characteristic with my Dual Rec. for whatever that's worth.

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

My sound for the first two sets was with bodies in the room so it wasn't a factor for me, but I know what you're saying. I had the opposite of you too, where my amp started to sound brighter toward the end of the four hours.

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Yeah, the Reeves was definitely sound meaner ... in a good way.

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Tube amps do sound better the longer they are left on, had a couple of audio tube amps I built and they were left on all the time, if they were turned off or the power had failed the change in tone was noticible.

I notice that the best tone is after the amps been on three hours, That is fantastic, I had left my Mesa Mark IV on over night accidently the next day, I had the most wonderful tone from that amp, thought about leaving the amp on all the time, but it would have burned through the tubes, and the room would be very very hot.