Amp trades CANADA-USA and border fees

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fjam82, Mar 13, 2008.

1. fjam82

fjam82 Member

I'm in Canada and if I'm swapping amps with somebody in the USA, what's the best way for the amp to go through the border? Should we label the amps as "gifts" or sample? I just don't want to get nailed on duties/taxes/fees/etc to do a trade...

any suggestions????

2. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Bend over and prepare to be f_cked. You can try the gift route but they may or may not go for it...I really feel we get screwed at our end in Canada. They seem to want to tack GST/PST on everything. They charged me for my own amp coming back to me. Ridiculous.

3. fjam82

fjam82 Member

+1.. I paid around 30% for my metro plexi kit to get over the border..

I'm thinking of swapping for a Dr Z worth around $1200 used, if I get the guy to value it at $500 will they check the list price and ding me??

4. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Probably not.. BUT if the item gets damaged, you are out 700$ of declared value. I'm in the same boat.. i am having a guitar built and i am wondering what i should value it at when it comes time to ship.Its silly because used goods should not be subject to GST/PST if you ask me.

By the way, 30% is HUGE! That is UPS though.. I got some parts for my plexi clone and he sent it ups, it was close to 40$ on a 125$ order.

5. odourboy

odourboy Member

Declare it as a return/repair and you might get away with it. It's worked for me (it was a legitimate repair return BTW) but that got me the amp free of taxes.

Curiously, I've had two deliveries for amp parts in the last two days, buth over the limit, but both were droppped off without taxes owing. Go figure?!

6. Flux

Flux Member

There's no 'price list'. Customs charges GST and PST on the declared value of the package. Canada Post charges typically $5-$7 for collecting the fees, and that's it. (There's no duty or excise on anything but tobacco and alcohol). UPS and FedEx charge a bogus brokerage fee, partly for collecting the taxes but mostly to make up for the lower price they charge the shipper - this is why many US shippers prefer to use UPS, it's often money in their pocket and out of yours. Now here's the catch: sure you can declare the package as being worth less to save on taxes, I could declare my sock is worth a million dollars or nothing, but as soon as you insure it for more.... that's the 'price list'. :jo

7. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Is the US border a long drive for you ? Find a UPS store at the nearest point across the border and have the amp shipped to you C/O the UPS store . I live close to Michigan ( about 1.5 hours ) and do this all the time on a lot of goods and save a lot :AOK

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

You will be asking the other party to make a false declaration, which is illegal.

I posted here asking why people don't want to ship to Canada.

The biggest answer is people like you asking them to falsely declare. :eek:

9. soldano16

soldano16 Member

By falsely declaring at the border when you come back?

10. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Something is definitely going on. Lately I've received several items - up to $600 - with Canada Post (the only service I use so that I don't get ripped off by UPS or FedEx with a $60 brokerage fee) and no tax. Maybe they have a new system and we will receive a bill.

11. wleeds

wleeds Member

It seems so hit and miss. The post office just brought me an amp from the States and it didn't cost a dime. It was shipped via USPS. About 6 months ago UPS brought me an amp from the States and I had to pay a border fee(?), pst and gst. ARGH!!!

12. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

If UPS charges less to ship to Canada it hasn't shown up on any of my bills from them. In fact, if the receiving Canadian does not pay they come back on US for the Canada taxes.

Any possibility of you guys lobbying Ottawa to lower the import duties .... and make this problem go away?

13. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

No , by not having to pay brokerage fees plus the shipping cost is way cheaper within the US . There are times that the customs agent will just wave me through even if the goods are several hundred , they can't be bothered with the paperwork on smaller priced goods , it's hit and miss....usually miss .

BTW , thanks for assuming I'm doing illegal activities :FM

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

The way you described it, that was the implication.

15. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Even if it were considered to be "illegal", who cares?! if the buyer and seller agree, no harm. If they don't, then no harm there either. We get screwed here all the time and we don't have access to all the gear the folks in the states do. I have no problem with bending the rules if everyone agrees..

16. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Just to clarify - shipping an amp to Canada costs about $20-30 more than within the US. If someone says their gear includes shipping in the US, I have them calculate to NYC and the add the delta to Canada. It's never been more than $30.

And USPS/Canada Post brokerage is $5

So if someone says they are driving a total of three hours (cost of gas) and crossing two borders to save $35, it doesn't really make any sense.

So again, sorry for the implication, but your description really did point to not properly declaring.

17. fjam82

fjam82 Member

:munch

18. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

You will probably be charged later.

19. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Just for the sake of clarity, you wouldn't be bending the rules, you would be breaking them. All the gear in the US is available to you. It's only a question of you defrauding the government for the sales tax. The world is full of tax cheats, not necessarily the end of the world but don't pretend it's anything else.

20. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I have bought my fair share of gear on eBay, more often than not from the USA. Tax and duties are one thing, but man, I am sick of UPS ripping me off with their brokerage fees. Whenever the shippers use FedEx ground or the USPS, it ends up being waaaaay less money since there are no (or at least much less) "brokerage" fees. I always ask the UPS guy what the deal is with my having to dish out anywhere from $90 to sometimes almost $200 when he drops the stuff off. I love how he always tells me it's tax and makes out like the government is really ripping me off. Then I look at the waybill, and the UPS fees are always more than the tax and duties. Nice try, buddy.
    Anyway, I usually ask if the person I am buying from is willing to say it's a repair return, which helps to save on taxes and duties. I always tell them there's no pressure, and if they have an ethical issue with it, then no worries. Personally, I don't have an ethical issue with trying to save a few bucks on customs duties on well-used and vintage gear. Calling people that do "tax cheats" is really being a tad bit over-judgemental IMO. Especially since our 2 countries are supposedly "free trade" partners. Buying brand new gear from a retailer is one thing -- but a bit of cash trading hands among vintage gear fanatics is another. That's my opinion and I sleep well at night, tax cheat or not.