Amp Tremolo Trick

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dajax, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Dajax

Dajax Member

Here's a technique I just happened upon by fooling around (I'll post a sound clip this weekend) If you have a two channel amp with tremolo on just one of the channels, plug into both channels either by a "Y" cord or by patching between the channels. Adjust the volumes so both channels are at about the same level, but set the tones so the tremolo channel is more trebly, and the straight channel has more bottom end, when you kick in the tremolo, and fine tune the balance between the channels, it's almost like a Uni Vibe effect. I'm sure this works better on some amps than others, but it really is worth checking out.
    http://bandmix.ca/dajax

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i can see where that would give you a swirly, complex sound, especially since the 2 channels of blackface fender-type reverb amps are out of phase with each other.

3. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

It really works well on a AC30!

4. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

Sounds like a nice idea indeed. So how would I do that? I'm usually plugged into the Vibrato-channel on my Twin. Do I have to link the 2nd vibe-channel with the first Normal channel? Or the other way around?

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I forget the reasoning--something to do with the phasing of the channels--but I don't think you can jumper channels on the amps with reverb and have it sound good without mods or special devices. It works with amps like bassmans and bandmasters though.

6. opultam

opultam Member

this is what i'm talking about. innovation! nice, i will try this later

7. gravy

gravy Member

bump for great thread!

8. teamodave

teamodave Member

I'll have to try it out on my Acoustic 134. Thanks for the tip.

9. Williampoulin

Williampoulin Member

Wait, how would this work with the AC30...Considering the tremolo works for both channels?

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The original AC30 had tremelo on only one channel. You plug into the high input of the bright channel, then jumper from the low output to the high input of the tremelo channel. Since the tremelo doesn't have a mix knob, this gives you the ability to mix more or less of the tremelo in with the bright sound. It works killer on amps without mix or level knobs, less useful with ones that do (although the idea of eqing the tremelo and non-tremelo channel differently opens up some cool possibilities). With BF Fenders, the reverb channel is out of phase, so that when both are at the same volume level the sound thins out a lot and drops in volume. However, if you've got the tremelo cranked, it's going to do some interesting things (since you'll get that phase cancellation when the tremelo channel is on, and lose it when the tremelo is off, so there's a kind of smoothing out of the volume and phasey EQ thing going on). It does mean that you lose reverb for most of your sound, though since reverb and tremelo are the same channel...

11. Williampoulin

Williampoulin Member

I see, that's interesting enough. Just gotta get my head around it. Thanks Bob.

12. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

I'm going to HAVE to futz with this on my HD 130. I was actually just messing with the trem earlier tonight. I've been going straight into the amp almost exclusively since the beginning the year and I've gotten into using vast amounts of the 'on-board effects'. Mostly just the reverb, but the trem caught my eye... and ear... earlier tonight.

Reporting Back

****ing sweet.

I plugged into my 'plain' channel and set it up (V:6 T:5 M:3 B:4), jumpered out to my verb/trem channel and set it more chimey and lowered the volume, both channels are set to bright. I cranked the verb and set a nice trem on it and I now have a modulated delay type sound all through my amp. I'm selling my DMM. No. I'm not. This sound is much different. It's nice and crisp up front but then the decay is blurry and has a gorgeous shimmer. I'm diggin' it.

13. Medication

Medication Member

Shhhh! Now everyone will know :)

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Good! I'm totally trying it on my AC-15 twin! :D :dude

15. tonewave

tonewave Member

love the fresh ideas
    did you come up with this concept?
    gonna try it with my mm 210sixty five

16. Dajax

Dajax Member

Just a note...the amp that I use for this trick is a Supro 88T. I routinely play through both channels. Each channel only has a single tone control rather than bass, and treble. Even though these single tone controls are tuned in a way that makes them very usable, one channel is quite bright, and the other more dark, and bottomy, so by going into both and playing with the balance between the two, I can really dial in the sound I need for the situation. I just happened to kick in the tremolo one day and discovered the little trick.The tremolo channel is the bright one, I'd be curious to hear what it would sound like if it were the other way around (pulsating bottom end with a steady bright tone)