Amp troubleshooting for dummy

Rhino x3

HI all, I had asked a question regarding the wiring in my Marshall 1987 and you kind folks let me know that the turret board was aftermarket. Well, now I have a problem with the amp that I need help with.... I removed the chassis to take gut shots and when reinstalled, the amp has very low and distorted output. When amp is shut off with guitar plugged in it momentarily gets clean and loud. Here's what I have tried. Removed tubes, cleaned and retentioned sockets, replaced all tubes one at a time with known good ones, changed guitar, changed cables, changed speaker cab, "chopsticked" everything I could reach, contact cleaner all pots and jacks. I think that's it. Any ideas? Or just quit messing with it and let a non-dummy look at it. Thanks, Mark

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
All the casual user can do is try replacing the tubes, which you've already done. Beyond that, with the lethal voltages inside a tube amp, you should have a qualified tech look into it before you hurt yourself. No amp is worth that.

Rhino x3

Thanks Vaughn, yeah, I *know* you're right, but it's just sitting there mocking me whith its silence nd I wanna play it!. Oh well, I promise I won'th mess with it any more

Trending Topics