Amp vs Pedal OD. Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Progman, May 2, 2016.

1. Progman

Progman Member

I'm in the market for a completely new amp rig. Getting real tired of my HRDiii barely cutting it. This amp is great in the cleans department but I'm aching for something new. I've slimmed my choices down to a Friedman BE100 with a mini board (tuner, comp, TS, delay, and reverb) or a Suhr Badger 30 with an extensive board with a bunch of gain pedals and time based effects. Played both and love both but it's hard to buy something when you can't go wrong with either.

2. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

You know...there are probably 500+ threads on this very subject. You'll find most people fall into one camp or another...but I think you'll find that the majority of folks using a pedal in place of an amp's natural distortion are doing so as a compromise of some sort. This is typically done because the player can't get the amp's naturally overdriven sound at a low enough volume level.

There are some folks, probably not the majority, who prefer the overdriven sound of their favorite pedal to their amp's natural overdrive. They're probably in the minority.

There are a lot of folks who set the amp volume to where it will start to break up on its own, particularly if you attack the strings hard with the guitar wide open, and then use some kind of boost or overdrive pedal to "push it into distortion".

There are guys who also use a particular type of pedal(s), e.g., some kind of germanium fuzz, for specific distortion sounds and actually use them just for certain types of distortion...but may prefer the amp's natural overdrive for other things.

There are people who will insist that tube overdrive is so much better than anything else that they simply will not use any pedals whatsoever. Ever.

And there are 18 million variants of these ideas.

But one thing I can guarantee you--there will be NO CONSENSUS whatsoever as to what "the best" approach is. Anyone who thinks they know is either talking about just what they like (which is totally fine, of course), or they have their head up their ass.

plextasy, tochiro, MrWhoever and 27 others like this.
  4. illini

illini Member

What he said ^

5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

If you play bluesy stuff you can use basically anything but if you want natural, harmonic rich, high gain tones there is absolutely no contest to me personally.

Most good drive pedals rely on power tube warmth IMHO and without it sound very sterile. Pedals can be difficult to dial in as well from my experience often having a single sweet spot tone where either side is a bit harsh or too dark. Just my experience anyway.

CubanB likes this.
  6. 8len8

8len8 Member

Amp.

otolathe and BADHAK like this.
  7. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Speaking for myself, I almost always prefer an amp's naturally overdriven sound. If I'm recording, I'll typically just turn the amp up to where I'm getting the sound I'm looking for. But in live performances (I play mostly in small clubs and private parties)...different story. In the last 15/20 years, I've had to play at much lower volumes than in the past. As a result, with my favorite amps set for the clean headroom I need, they get too loud when overdriven. So I have had to resort to pedals for much of my overdriven sound (I typically set the amp to "edge of breakup"). I've found a few pedals, that in combination with the right amp, sound really great, IMO, so this works really well for me. It's a compromise...but I'm still able to "get my sound" most of the night.

It seems like attenuators and reamping technology have really improved in the last 7 or 8 years. I know lots of people are really satisfied going that route. I haven't tried the very newest reampers (e.g., the Suhr or Fryette) but historically...I've just found that the dynamic range that I'm accustomed to isn't there--it's just too narrow. But I'd like to get around to trying out these newer tools one of these days.

dave-o and lowpaygigs like this.
  9. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Leonc is right-Lots of opinions-I have some pedals that I absolutely love, and use them for gigs, but If I can take my Soldano Hr25 out and open it up, well, it's a whole lotta great tone....

10. Dubious

Dubious Member

I prefer a solid super powerful clean platform. The clean needs to be powerful enough to stand on its own as a GREAT tone.

for pedals i like stuff with unique sounds so i run a couple fuzes, a boss hm2 - none of these sound amp like!

I then have 2 dirt pedals - 1 is very natural and organic / amplike the other is a miab to give me that specific tone.

With this rig i get a killer clean tone plus 5 completely differant flavors of dirt. I can still hit my clean (or dirts) with a compressor for more gain too.

So its not a clmpromise for me its about versatility.

ThinPaperWings and lowpaygigs like this.
  11. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Depends on the rig. Love my Mesa OD sounds, love Marshall. However, a nice fender or carr amp with a maxon od808 and Les Paul I'm wearing cheap sunglasses.

As mentioned above, at shows with lower volume requirements, I have a drive, boost and distortion to mix and match for dirt. Gigging guys have to be practical.

12. slybird

slybird Member

I have no preference. It just needs to sounds good to my ears or works for the composition. That said, I own a Mesa Triaxis and have never purchased any OD pedal. I own two fuzz pedals.

13. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Two great tastes that taste great together.

14. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

Hands down amp

TEPR and BADHAK like this.
  15. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

TGP Schedule:

MONDAY - Analog vs. Digital
    TUESDAY - Bad Customer Service!
    WEDNESDAY - Amp vs. Pedal OD
    THURSDAY - Klon(e)s - what's so special?
    FRIDAY - Turret vs. PTP vs. PCB
    SATURDAY - Best MIAB
    SUNDAY - Politics & Religion!!

As you can see, you have deviated from the strictly regimented discussion schedule. WEDNESDAY is the day to once again compare, contrast, and discuss the merits of amp overdrive vs. pedal overdrive. Today is analog vs. digital day. Please re-title and accordingly adjust the subject of this thread to reflect an Analog vs. Digital argument of some sort. We don't want chaos here.

16. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Definitely amp, but that said, running my RYRA Klone to push my Avatar 45 over the edge is a instance where the total is greater than the parts!

dwoverdrive likes this.
  17. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

:spit

wickedcookie and lowpaygigs like this.
  18. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Testify Brother Leon!

It depends on the tone I want and the volume I am playing at the moment. While I love amp pushed into heavenly gain there are sounds I want that a JMP 2204 or 1987 just won't do at any volume - like the monster rack of effects laden sounds of the 80's & 90's. Rather than throw down for a BE100 [sorry Dave!] I throw down a distortion pedal and rock it!

Now, if that means I am doomed to amp hell [filled with transistor radio level amps, turd speakers and untunable guitars] for profaning a treasured tone icon so be it. My momma told me a long time ago that I could never totally useless - I can always serve as a warning to others.

Russ

Leonc and Hacksaw like this.
  19. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

It seems like virtually all pro guitarists use pedals. One exception that comes to mind is Carlos Santana. Just sayin

Dorion1 likes this.
  20. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member