Amp with a fast response that feels like it´s "wired to your fingertips"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by m-gee, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Corey112

Corey112 Member

Someone mentioned already but Mark series amsp from Mesa Boogie, theres a Mark for every flavor of player.

2. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

I just had that experience this morning with a 355 plugged straight into my Mess IIC+. It doesn’t always feel that way, but it did today. Loved it!

3. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

4. aeolian

aeolian Member

My experience is that the simpler the circuit the more immediate the response feels. My old /13 JRT was like that. Crazy quick. I have a Supro Black Magick that is pretty quick as well. Both have just a single tone control. I had a custom voiced Fuchs ODS for ages and while it was incredibly responsive in tone and dynamics, it wasn't as quick. Clear and unforgiving, but the /13 felt much more immediate.

5. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Warning: This is a (good) JOKE, please don't take it seriously.

Signal in cable: 1 foot per nanosecond
    Sound in air: 1 foot per millisecond
    That is, the signal in the cable goes a MILLION times faster than in air.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Supporting Member

A very inexpensive and high quality amp like this is the DR. z kt45, most people never understood it so it was discontinued and they sell really cheap.

7. amptex

amptex Member

Funny, reading the thread title I thought immediately of my old Yamaha G100 with JBL E120. Fit that description well...for clean stuff.

8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Of my amps, the one amp that stands out as “unforgiving” is the Randall Satan. No sag or “squishy-ness”. Which is why the clean channel reminds me of the old Ultralinear Twin Reverbs.

9. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

The Yamaha G100 and the aluminum 10 inch Hartke speakers. Talk about fast response!

amptex likes this.
  10. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Supporting Member

High wattage cleans amps with solid state rectifier

Or solid state amps, not digital

El Phaco likes this.
  11. Trolley Car

Trolley Car Member

Aeolian got my neurons snapping when he talked about his experience with a simple circuit ; it can play and sound like it is “ wired to your fingertips”.

Speaking of simple circuits, my 1955 Champ 5E1 pulls off this trick directly. Maybe that’s the quality that gives it its flair.

12. muzishun

muzishun Member

Yup

13. jblake

jblake Member

First of all, you’re going to have to get a guitar with a quartersawn neck. That snappy, unforgiving attack starts there.

:hide

14. Chadley

Chadley Member

I do not think there is any discernible difference with any analog/tube amp circuit. Every amp responds different, but it’s not how quickly or slowly it responds but how it compresses and distorts. I think it’s all a matter of perception and confirmation bias.

Now with digital stuff, it’s different. There is a very real thing called latency.

15. LaXu

LaXu Member

This is the only one that fits the bill. Those amps have very little sag so the moment you play the note it jumps out of the speakers. Very immediate and unforgiving which is not necessarily what most people want all the time but is stellar for hard rock/metal rhythm playing. I like a little bit of sag like you get in most high power Marshall type amps - it does not feel "slow" but it is not so unforgiving either.

stephen sawall likes this.
  16. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i had a Valvetech T-wreck clone that was just like this. even with a tube rectifier it had such an immediacy to its attack. it was a great amp that would take your head off. in a good way. lots of t-wreck clones available in many wattages now.

17. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

The V1 Maz 18 I bought last year fit that description. After upgrading to the Mk2 version it mellowed out noticeably.

18. Tootone

Tootone Member

My 2c... any decent, no frills valve amp with good ceramic speakers.

I have alnico speakers in both my amps through choice because they react slower to attack, which rounds of the spike to get chime. We're talking speaker response here, not lag or delay.

Conversely, Ceramic speakers have an instantaneous reponse... wired to your fingers as you say.

So most good valve amps will do as you ask... Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV... I know because I tried one recently.

It is very "touch sensitive".

19. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Mesa Boogie TC-50 or TC-100 with the tight switch on is ideal for that. Effortless feeling.

20. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Compression reduces attack, which makes things feel slower, not faster.