Amp work gone way bad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gpasq, Mar 20, 2019.

1. gpasq

gpasq Member

I've been playing a Fender Vibrolux that I love, but it had the well-known hiss that was really annoying. So I looked online for the well-known kit to fix it; found it, asked the vendor if it was the correct kit for the particular amp. I sent the link to the amp, and was assured that it was the correct kit. Cool!

Took it to a locally recommended amp tech. 3 months later, after family problems, illness, etc., he tells me the amp is ready to go. I swing by and pick it up, he tells me that after the fix, it has "very little headroom". I heard the distortion in his shop, but wanted to get it home and check out the real deal.

So I get it home, bring it right into my office and flip it on. It doesn't have "very little headroom"... it has no headroom. It's distorting at 1 and what's more, it sounds like hell! Dammit! So I head into the other room to say hello to my wife. Five minutes later, I walk back into my office, and smoke is POURING out of the amp!

Call the amp tech to let him know. He 'splains that he thought it odd that the instructions showed a different board, and that he had spare parts. SMH. To his credit though, he made it right, and bought me a new Vibrolux. No hiss in this one, so that worked out. He spoke to the kit vendor, who basically said, "Yeah, we made a mistake."

No real point to this except sharing the story.

2. 84superchamp

84superchamp Pub Stunt Coordinator Silver Supporting Member

Aarrgg! Glad you were made right.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  3. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Member

This guy sounds like my auto mechanic. He's not the fastest or the smartest, but he'd rather lose money on a repair than screw me over, and that's why I keep coming back.

This guy, though maybe no genius, deserves another chance to get it right, the next time you have a problem.

4. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I agree. Anyone can screw up. But very few will go above and beyond to make it right.

5. gpasq

gpasq Member

Maybe. I agree with you in principle, but would definitely think twice about bringing something back. To me a "screw up" would be mis-soldering something. I think that not taking the time to determine if/how the kit fits prior to installation is more significant, and shows a lack of the basics.

6. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

On the other hand, you supplied him the incorrect parts, right?

Fred Farkus, outlawten5 and Mngwa like this.
  7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I'm sorry to hear about your story, but am glad that your amp tech made things right on his part. I would find another amp tech and not give him any repair work in the future. Enjoy your new Vibrolux amp!

Guitar George

8. gpasq

gpasq Member

Yes and no. Technically, I did. But I know next to nothing about electronics, so I relied on him to make sure AND I emailed the manufacturer to double-check and was told they were the correct parts. The info I sent to the manufacturer WAS correct.

If you brought a beef heart to your kidney transplant and asked the Dr. to install it, you'd expect him to say "no", right?

Scooter likes this.
  9. mvsr990

Those are pretty different situations.

I'm not saying he didn't make a mistake but it sounds to me like the supplier made the much greater mistake and he worked with the parts you and they supplied.

10. gpasq

gpasq Member

How so? Different outcomes maybe, but the situations seem quite similar.

I agree the supplier made a mistake. But I didn't give this to just-some-buddy to fix. I gave it to someone that should have known better.

11. mvsr990

All human hearts have basically the same appearance and same parts.
    Is that true of amp innards?

This would be more like supplying the blood you need for a transfusion and giving the hospital the wrong type.

Yes, and that's why he made it right - but he used what was handed to him. He didn't order the parts or supply the parts.

12. gpasq

gpasq Member

That's why I said you brought the heart to your kidney transplant :)

13. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Did you tell your amp tech that you checked with the manufacturer and they said the parts were correct? I can see how your tech would be inclined to believe you.

But he should have checked it out himself too when the schematic didn't match.

StanG and 70 Mach 1 like this.
  14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Not always.

Trust me on this.

Vintage_ and gpasq like this.
  15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Who is the kit vendor so some of us don’t make the same mistake? Not trying to trash him, just need to know. This s..t gets expensive

Hamer95USA likes this.
  16. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

I'd give him another chance. He did right by you. You didn't know about the parts, and maybe he checked the same link - but he later spoke to the vendor and they admitted their mistake. Hopefully he got some kind of recompense out of them.

PLX likes this.
  17. mvsr990

An item that is visually distinct, yes. Hence blood - visually identical, goes in the same way, going to cause problems if you supply the wrong item.

18. gpasq

gpasq Member

The instructions that said "insert part A into slot C" where slot C doesn't exist shouldn't have been a tip-off that something was wrong? Learned my lesson, I s'pose. Next time I shall remain mute. Just drop off an amp, and hope he does something good to it.

19. gpasq

gpasq Member

Yes he did, and for that I'm grateful. I don't know if the vendor helped him out or not... I think probably not.

20. burner

burner Member

I concur