Ampeg 8x10 tone in a smaller package

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by johnmfer, Apr 16, 2015.

1. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

My wife is the bass player in our band and I'm the guitar player. She plays an Ampeg SVT2 through a 8x10. Her gear is heavy! And big! She's very much all about that growling tone. It really does sound amazing.

That said, I'm losing patience with moving this stuff around to gigs. We only ever play bars and smaller rooms. I play a 50 watt head through a 2x12. Our drummer is loud-ish but not the loudest I've ever seen. She hangs on to this equipment for the tone, not the power requirements.

I convinced her to pick up the 4x10 version of her 8x10, the HLF with the ports on the bottom at 4 ohms. She wasn't happy with the tone of it though I thought it sounded much the same.

Any ideas what to try next? 12" speakers maybe?

2. campbellcj

campbellcj Member

Have her load-in the next gig herself. That might encourage the downsizing!

3. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

She does a lot of the moving herself already. Even she admits it's tough, especially in clubs without dedicated stage doors. But no matter what it's a two person job to lift the cab onstage or into/out of the car, or to carry the rack with her bass head in it (though we could get wheels for that)

4. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Are you playing with PA support?

5. crackbass

crackbass Supporting Member

Try an ampeg svt-7 and a 410. Should be available to demo at most Guitar Center's.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I'd suggest a 410HE instead of the 410HLF, except AFAIK they're only offered in 8 ohms, and also AFAIK her SVT II won't get along well that way... The HE version of those cabs is more like half an 810e than the HLF version is...

- georgestrings

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a pair of 8Ω 2x10 cabs might be the ticket; easier to move, can be stacked about as tall as the 8x10 and should sound in the ballpark, will be plenty loud, and will make that 4Ω head happy.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

An SVT 7 Pro isn't going to even come close. SVT II (non pro) might be the best amp head Ampeg ever made. Personally I have found no substitute for the fridge. You might try to find a vintage fliptop and mic it up.

9. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I liked moving from a SVT810 to a 410HLF.... but, I was also very, VERY interested in the Bergantino NV610. The NV610 was noted by many on TalkBass as THE replacement for an Ampeg 810.

[​IMG]

10. jimfist

jimfist Member

IMHO, there are lots of ways to get the SVT & 8x10 fridge "tone", but no real replacement for the entire experience of having that rig on stage with you in performance. I've been a big, big fan of the SVT 8x10 rigs, and have owned and gigged it for years.

If I had the ambition, strong back or road crew, I'd likely still be gigging it. Thus I crossed over to the dark side of modeling w/ full range cabinets and never looked back...and don't regret it, either. In rooms where the PA is providing majority sound support, you'd never be able to tell that I was using a modeler DI feed to get my preferred SVT/8x10 tones.

The overall experience of sound/feel matters more to an audience in rooms that are smaller, or where the back line is going to carry the room (i.e., vocals only PA systems). But for the player, again IMHO, no real replacement for the experience in a smaller package. It is what it is.

11. royd

royd Member

check out the Barefaced Retro 610... it s the fridge slayer and because it is a really well designed cab, it also weighs significantly less than other 610's.

12. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

Ampeg 810 cabs have their own sound and are wonderful.....until you get older or can no longer justify something that size. The Bergantino 610 cabs are, indeed, very nice sounding. Perhumps two 410 cabs might make her happy? I'd love to be able to still play through big cabs but I find that some of these lighter cabs have the tone that I want, even if not the ideal.

13. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I went from SVT-CL & SVT-810 to MarkBass LMT800 (with tech21 TV bass) & SVT-410HLF. Lighter, easier to move BY MYSELF, & 95% of the same round, rumbly tone!

I miss backing up & feeling that power. I do NOT miss the weight. Tone changed MINIMALLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Sounds like some field trips to gear stores are in order to try as much stuff as she can.

15. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

If the 4x10 doesn't make her happy, the Berg 6x10 is pretty much your last hope. It ain't gonna get closer than that, and still be smaller.

/rick

16. wpawley

wpawley Member

Have to second what jimfist said. While I still have my 810 cab(s) and heads, they rarely ever leave my storage area. Instead, I use an 11 Rack to get the Ampeg sound (or Fender) and save myself a lot of moaning and groaning on the load in/out. I still use my "big" stuff but mostly for when we need to have something "visual" (rest of the band brings their big gear then). Most of the time, we play smaller venues that really are too small for the 810 cab/head to run efficiently. Our PA has enough Aux Channels that I have one just for me and use a 15" monitor speaker just for stage volume.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

There are lots of nice 10" cabs. Ampeg makes ONE. The 810. All their other 10" cabs suck in my opinion. Except maybe that one 410 that was designed, I think, by Victor Wooten and Les Claypool, which no one can get anymore.

That Berg 610 is an amazing cab. fEarful also makes some great cabs. You need to take her and the SVT II around to some shops and have her play through a bunch of cabs until she finds the one.

18. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

19. TomRichards

TomRichards Member

50W is still a ton of power for guitar. Normally, the bass wattage has to be about 3X the guitar wattage to compete on stage and in the crowd. I have heard good things about the Ampeg Micro-VR was designed by Ampeg to be that small SVT emulator. The matched SVT210 cabinet for it is a small version of the SVT 8X10.

I played a couple of gigs with one. Do I get that SVT feeling when playing through the Micro? Of course not, at least not completely. But I was surprised how close in sound the Micro-VR really was to a vintage SVT. Its worth a try at your local GC or other shop.