Ampeg AMG100

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by benjammin420, Feb 25, 2009.

1. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

hmm im starting to wonder if they even exist at all

3. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Yes, Ive seen one and played it a bit. It was inexpensive and quite light which I liked. Played well enough but had lighter strings than I normally use which I didn't much like. Didn't really give it an in-depth evaluation but it actually seemed to have potential and seemed well enough put together for MIC. The guys in the store seemed to dig it. So they do exist.

4. markw1980

markw1980 Member

Does anyone know where these are made? I am really interested in these, too.

5. phantasm

phantasm Member

I have one ( the alder one). I bought it in October.
    Made in China.
    It's a fun guitar.
    I've considered selling it since it hasn't been played much. I really like it, but have a few other guitars i can't seem to put down.

The thing that i DON'T believe exists are the interchangeable pickups for it. It came with the rock humbucker, but i'm more interested in the other pickups for it.

6. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

Phantasm what is the neck like on yours (do you still have it?) I've played a couple of the lucite DA's and to my memory they were on the slim, fast but comfortable side. are the amg100s similiar?

7. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

I played one of the clear acrylic ones when they were first thinking about releasing them (it was nice working at a music store, I miss it), if i remember correctly it was a decent guitar. Although I'm pretty sure the one i played wasn't from china (so it goes for demos sometimes I think they had just finished working on the re-release to see if it would float). To me it was a neat little toy, but nothing much more than that, it didn't really spark anything interesting with me. Wish I could tell you more about it, but that was about 2 years ago, and I played it for roughly a half hour.

8. phantasm

phantasm Member

The neck is just like the lucite version. Same fretboard width on the first fret as the last fret- kind of a thin/wide profile. It's a comfortable neck.

9. sricabla

sricabla Member

I have the Black one. I really like the Mojo it brings with it. It's light, the body is a bit thinner and has a really good hard rock tone. I only wish that the single coil PU was available. The neck is fast and comfortable. A definite keeper for hard rock/punk styles. The build quality is excellent, low action, great fret job and a reasonable price tag. The only thing that I am going to do to it is probably replace the pots and caps. Get them while you can. I have a feeling that they will become great low cost classics! Ampeg has not really promoted this guitar.

10. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

tell me about it, ive been trying to track these down for months. All the guys at my local store can tell me is that is its available by order thru ampeg. Do any of you owners have multiple pickups? Sounds like aren't easy to come by, though ive seen them on ebay sometimes.

11. phantasm

phantasm Member

As far as i know, they haven't released the other pickups yet- it bums me out. I could buy a used Dan Armstrong pickup on ebay for a small fortune but don't really want to shell out the cash.
    As a result, i've just kept the Dan in the case- my wife wants me to sell it.

12. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

They recently reissued the lucite series, but they didnt reissue alternate pickups? Also read somewhere you can send any HB size pickup you want to Kent armstrong and he can configure it to fit into a DA guitar, though im sure that must cost a pile too.

13. sricabla

sricabla Member

As far as PU's, I guess I'll have to order one thru Kent Armstrong. It will probably be better than the Chinese made one's once they ever come out!

14. disaster

disaster Member

For some reason I thought that the different colors were made in different places. Can't remember where I read it though...

15. 777

777 Member

Zombie thread resurrection.........(but I hate to start a whole new thread)

So are there pickups that can be had to switch out for this guitar? Or is it that you buy pickups and they have to be modified to be able to switch them out?

16. grungebob

grungebob Member

Don't know about that but each colour is a different body wood.

17. jkuenzie

jkuenzie Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for Ampeg to issue alternative pickups for this otherwise cool guitar. I bought a single blade "Rock Treble" pickup directly from Kent Armstrong. $90, shipping included. He makes them (apparently by hand) in black or brown. You can contact him through his web site kentarmstrong.com. :JAM

18. sricabla

sricabla Member

Great guitars for the money! Yes I also had to get a P-90 from Kent Armstrong and does it rock! I'd have to admit it is a one trick pony, but what it does, it does really well! You won't be disappointed. The stock pickup is good, but a P-90 is a monster with a Marshall or other rock amp. I play Punk/Hard Rock and I play both an Explorer and the Ampeg and that's all I need!

19. sears

sears Member

They're $270 at Sam Ash online right now

20. 777

777 Member

P-90! Now you have my attention!

What does Kent Armstrong have to do with Dan Armstrong?

Can you post pics of it with the P-90? How much did the P-90 cost?