Ampeg enthusiasts thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Hey Ampeg lovers! I'm one!!

I've currently got a mid-60s Reverb-e-Rocket II and a 72/73 VT-40--these replace amps I had in my youth (my original VT-40 was stolen and the R-e-R was sold to help fund grad school). I just sold a 68 Gemini GV22.

I remember playing some old blue-check Geminis, I think a Gemini II (with some kind of 15" in it) and just loving it, but it was so long ago, I can't really remember what I dug about it.

If you have had some experience with the Gemini line, I've got some questions for you:

1. If you've experience with both a 12" and 15" Gemini, which did you prefer? Why What kind of speakers were in them?

2. If you've owned different Geminis--with 6L6s and 7591s--which Gemini did you prefer and why?

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Wooo Hooo !! !!! First in line.

I've got a few. I do have a '66 Gemini 1. No experience with the 15" speaker though. Mine has a Jensen 12" and has 7591 tubes.

I really like the sound of the "odd" tubed Ampegs. I also have an SB12 with 7868 tubes. I don't have any 6L6 Ampegs I have several Fenders with 6L6's and there is a difference in not only sound but response as well. The Fenders are great, great amps. They've got the reputation for a reason but there's just something special about those Ampegs. Can't put my finger on it but I really do like playing those amps.

AL

3. soulohio

soulohio Member

ain't got no Gemini amps but I got two VT40's...high time we had an Ampeg enthusiast thread...should have one every week...now drinks and girls for everyone!

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Wonderful amps. Reverb ... sweet! First real amp I played as a youngster was the top-mounted control model reverborocket. Got me all agitated, have loved Ampegs ever since. Played several Gem I, Gem II - VI, the right one hasn't landed yet. Played an M12 Mercury which I think is one of the real sleepers in the sorta-tweed class.

5. Leonc

Mad dog - do you tend to like tweed style amps in general (e.g. old Gibsons, gretsches, etc)?

I've never been a real tweed fan, in general...but I do remember a buddy's tweed Champ being quite a little monster when dimed.

I know you don't want to offend the Gemini owners (and they don't need to be offended because no amp is gonna turn everyone on) but what about the Geminis didn't turn you on?

I have a recollection of the one I played really gettin up and goin--more Marshall-like than Fender-like--when it was turned up pretty far. I vaguely recall good lows too...

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I really like the old Gemini I - great tone, excellent reverb/tremolo. Stupid cheap too.
    While a big 1x12 combo, at least it's not too heavy.

(sorry Leon - I only have experience w/ the 7591 1x12 - but you might ask CliffC)

7. Leonc

Thanks Wayne! PM sent to Cliff...

8. RocknTommy

RocknTommy Member

I hear ya there!

I only have the big boys.
    V4 head no master
    VT-22 with Master
    VT-40

9. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I used to play thru a VT60 Tri-Axis half stack. It was a great amp for heavy rock and had a really singing 3rd high gain channel.

I have a BA112 small bass amp now and it always suprises everyone how freaking huge a 1x12 bass combo can sound. Nothing beats Ampeg bass power!

10. Leonc

My R-e-R II came with the standard CTS alnico speaker, which is okay, but a bit on the tinny side to my ear--and very loud. I tried a few different speakers and settled on a Celestion G12M. Works very well. But for grins, I've had a pair of Jensen reissue C12Qs sittin around (pulled them out of my GV22 before selling it) and man...they sound GREAT in the Reverb-e-Rocket II!! Actually, kind of similar to the greenback but w/o some of the typical gb "grindiness/distortion". I'd say the distorted sound is a bit smoother/rounder with the Jensen. So now I think I'm gonna keep it in there and sell the greenback (and the other Jensen) instead, heheh!

11. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

'57 "watermelon" Mercury here.

I love old Ampegs. Hmmmmm I need to see if my friend still has his old Sound Fountain. Maybe he'll want to finally let me have it.

12. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

1972/1973 V-2 here. Great tone, but LOUD. Wish you could nail this tone in about an 18-watt package.

13. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I think the Gemini 1 is one of the greatest guitar amps ever made. It's generally like the best qualities of a tweed bandmaster & AC30 combined. Although, I think it truly sounds unique. It's not marshall or fender, so when you play it, you're free of the more ubiquitous "tonal baggage." It's definitely a harmonic content amp (as opposed to a strong fundamental type amp). Really rich midrange which makes a blackface sound bland and anemic. The nice thing about the Ampeg is that you can do a darker clean tone because the midrange is so superb. You don't need to go bright like you have to do on most Fender type amps.

I also think the 7591 is a far better sounding tube than the 6L6. It's slightly more wattage than an EL84 or 6V6 but has none of the drawbacks of those tubes, so in terms of a 15-20 watt amp, the Ampegs seem far better than a blackface deluxe or 18watt marshall to me.

Leon, I'll pm you a link to some songs done with the Gemini 1 if you're interested.

14. erksin

erksin Member

Here's my '65 Reverberocket with 7591As:

[​IMG]

I love these tubes - very high headroom for a 6V6-ish tube, big rich cleans. The RR is my 'Surf' amp - perfect for the nice stringy bass and crisp treble stuff, and of course the reverb and tremolo!

15. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

No Reverberockets (although if I ever run across one...), but I gots me a '60 M-12 Mercury. I love it, jump blues, jazz, early rock 'n' roll, nothing beats it (to my ears). And that tremolo...

16. Leonc

Erskin - gorgeous man!!!

Jackie - absolutely, send me that PM and TIA!

bobgoblin - excellent point man...tremendous tremolo (and vibrato!) on some Ampeg models.

17. Wayne

Wayne Member

I agree with most of this assesment of the Ampeg Gemini I. I have a restored one from 1967 with a 12' speaker and 7591 tubes, which break up just right for my tastes. I plug into the accordian input. DEEP reverb plus tremolo. Great amp. Still love my Deluxe Reverb though.

[​IMG]

Wayne

18. goodtone

goodtone Member

Hey Leon,
    I have a original 1964 Gemini ll amplifier in very nice condition (sorry no pic). The tubes are the 7591's and the speaker is a Jensen 15" Concert Series. The tremelo will take you right back to Creedence Clearwater. The reverb sounds lush and full. I'm surprised that no boutique amp builder never cloned this unique reverb sound into a separate reverb unit. I use a P-90 guitar and a Gretsch when playing my Gemini. They still can be had for bargain prices on the vintage market. I had a freind in the 60's who played one of these and he was playing a Daphne Blue Fender Mustang into a Mossrite Fuzz into this amp and got a great sound. Excellent clean for straight rhythm work and decent lead tone. Sometimes I think about getting one more just for stereo kicks ! Then again if you really want to go for one of the coolest vintage Ampegs. I suggest you try an Ampeg Super Echo Twin (models ET-2 and ET-B). The only difference between the two models was rectification and power tubes.The guy who sold me my Gemini llhad a Super Echo Twin allready sold and promised to someone else !!! I thought ...man... I almost had one. Someday

19. erksin

erksin Member

Totally - a Super Echo Twin would be one of my dream amps! Two Reverberockets in one package - mmmmm...

20. Brick

Brick Member

Hey Leon, is this thread limited to Gemini's? Because I'm still loving that V2 you sold to me. :RoCkIn

Stil, I just wish I could find the email you sent with your speaker suggestion. I'm currently playing it through an Avatar 2x12 cab with some eminence speakers now but am itching to try something new...just need to tweak.