Ampeg Jet or Rocket?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinner, May 8, 2008.

1. sinner

sinner Member

Early Ampeg gurus, tell me about the Jets and Rockets--features, best years, etc.

Want something small but clear that also breaks up nice for small home use.

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have a 1960 Jet and really dig it. I think the Rocket of that time is nearly the same...I think the only difference is that the Jet has one control for the tremolo while the rocket has 2 but Im not positive.

The Jet is about 10 watts into a single 12...not real loud but has a very cool tone, different than other amps but very cool.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I had a late '64 Reverberocket,which I wish I still had,that had;2) 7868 power tubes,2)12ax7's a 6U10 and a 6C10. The Jensen C12R was great for home use but I used it with a Celestion Vintage 30 to play clubs.Great platform for a pedals and really shined with a TS9 and any guitar you plugged in it.

4. sinner

sinner Member

Isn't one of these models a 10" speaker rather than the 12"?

Which one is more watts?

Are any 6V6 power?

5. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

I just recorded last night with my mid-60's Jet. Great overdrive when cranked, and much more home-friendly than the Rocket in terms of volume (I used to have a 66 Reverberocket, which was a nice amp, but pretty loud for home use--probably comparable to Deluxe Reverb volume-wise). The Jet can be a bit dark and isn't incredibly versatile, but it's a wonderful recording amp.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The Jet,Rocket,Reverberocket and Gemini I all came with 12" speakers.
    Early Jets,Rockets and Reverberockets had 6V6's or 7591's and a rectifier tube. Later versions had rectifier diodes and either 7591's or 7868's.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I can't think of a single Ampeg guitar amp with a 10...the Jet was the bottom line and it has a 12...the stock speaker was a P12R most of the time but it's still a 12.

I know my Jet was just in the shop and puts out right at 10 watts and I think the Rocket has the same trannys...

A lot of the old Ampegs were 6V6 powered...my jet is, they switched to 7591's around 1964 I think...

8. sinner

sinner Member

Thanks for the info!

I know I heard one a couple years ago, pretty sure it was the ReverbRocket but don't remember the year, 6V6 or 7501s--but it screamed real good! A little darker than the Champ, more headroom if I remember correctly.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Jets, Rockets, and Reverberockets all kinda went throught the same 'upgrades' at the same time (6V6s + 5Y3 for the earlier models, then 7868s and later 7591As with SS rectos). They always had 12" speakers - the only Ampeg with 10"s were the VT-40 combos of the '70s.

If you want breakup - get a 6V6 Jet ('58-'62-ish).

The main diff is that the Jet has one input and single trem speed control and the Rocket had 2 inputs with Speed and Depth (the RR has 3 inputs).

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

What was the 40 watt reissue style they came out with about 10 years ago? I played one and was totally blown away by it. Even had tubes for the reverb send and return.

11. erksin

erksin Member

Completely different animal - nothing at all like the originals...